turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxed on IRA distributions after moving?

I'm 61 and moved in March of this year (2019) from NJ to PA. If I start drawing from my IRA now (June) will I be taxed on these distributions in NJ when I go to file my 2019 taxes? Is it by calendar year or timeline that the decision is based on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will need to file two part-year returns, one for each state.  You will need to divide your income based upon which state you were a resident of at the time you earned or received the income.

Regarding your IRA distributions..........if received while a resident of NJ, it is taxable by NJ..........received while a resident of PA, it is taxable by PA.  Since you are 61 years old, the IRA distribution should be box 7 coded as a 7:normal distribution and is not taxable by PA.  (a code of 7D  is taxable by PA).

It is strongly recommended that you have, by your actions,  not left your residency as ambiguous, ie, having some things indicating NJ residency, some others indicating PA residency.  This is to avoid the situation where both states have evidence that you intend to be a resident of their state.  Address such things as driver's license, auto registrations, voting registration, etc .    Of course, having only one home is also a good indicator.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Any taxable income you receive while a New Jersey resident would be reported on the NJ 2019 tax return, including the taxable amount of the IRA distribution.

Thanks for your fast reply. So that means that these withdrawals would not show up on my NJ 2019 tax statements from Fidelity or Vanguard, since I changed my address of residence with them as of when we moved (March).

There are two separate issues here:

1) The state that will tax you depends on the state of residence when the distribution is taken ans state law.  That is done on your state tax return(s)  when you file in 2020.

2) What the financial institution reports on a 1099-R for state tax withheld, depends on the instructions that you give them if any state tax is withheld at all and how much.    Withholding on a 1099-R is not paying the tax - it is money that is withheld (just like W-2 withholding) that is sent to the state to apply to the tax for that state.   If too much is withheld then you might get a refund, if not enough then you owe additional.   If sent to the wrong state the  you file a state non-resident tax return for a refund.

For IRA distributions tax withholding is not mandatory and you tell the financial institution how much to withhold - if anything.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You will need to file two part-year returns, one for each state.  You will need to divide your income based upon which state you were a resident of at the time you earned or received the income.

Regarding your IRA distributions..........if received while a resident of NJ, it is taxable by NJ..........received while a resident of PA, it is taxable by PA.  Since you are 61 years old, the IRA distribution should be box 7 coded as a 7:normal distribution and is not taxable by PA.  (a code of 7D  is taxable by PA).

It is strongly recommended that you have, by your actions,  not left your residency as ambiguous, ie, having some things indicating NJ residency, some others indicating PA residency.  This is to avoid the situation where both states have evidence that you intend to be a resident of their state.  Address such things as driver's license, auto registrations, voting registration, etc .    Of course, having only one home is also a good indicator.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies