Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What is the proper way to adjust the cost basis for the SLV / GLD ETFs that are structured as trusts, and have monthly expenses that show up on your 1099-B?

After further checking I found the TD Ameritrade "Proceeds" numbers to be correct.  Their cost basis numbers match the calculator.  The calculators for both GLD and SLV appear to be accurate on CostBasisTools.com as well, and that site is easier to use than using the TD data.  You do have to enter each lot separately if they have different dates/prices.  If you are paranoid about it, build your own spreadsheet to check their work.  I had to do that this year for another trust.  Not fun!  😉

The above is IMO. Check with your accountant if needed.

What is the proper way to adjust the cost basis for the SLV / GLD ETFs that are structured as trusts, and have monthly expenses that show up on your 1099-B?

sgbloss If the info is simply not on Fidelity's 1099 report at the back, it doesn't necessarily mean they "did the transactions."  Ask them if they accounted for it; I bet the answer is no.  If Vanguard gives you the "Proceeds" you can likely trust it.  But then you have to use the calculator anyway to get to the cost basis of the silver sold for the SLV calculator.  

Just use the calculators at costbasistools dot com for GLD and SLV IMO for any lot you own, wherever that is.   Don't, if you don't trust the site.  I personally do.  You have to read what I wrote about LT and ST gains though to enter the data from the calculator correctly.  And you have to enter each lot with a different Price/Date of purchase separately on the calculator.

You can use the calculator at costbasistools dot com for GLD and SLV IMO.   Of course, I don't run the site, so make your own decision.  The person who runs it seems very competent to me in interacting with him by email.  They don't have one for GBTC and others though. You'll have to build a spreadsheet or have an accountant do it for you.  This will help you build the spreadsheet if you refer back to my spreadsheet I posted 2 years ago...

Remember the key points:
1. GLD SLV and GBTC ONLY generate Long Term gains when they raise "Proceeds" (see my example spreadsheet to understand what I'm referring to here...https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/re-what-is-the-proper-way-to-adjust-the-cost...

The trusts have held their "Stuff" over a year (366 days is the rule), so when you bought the trust, you acquired an interest in "Long Term" appreciated assets, so the FEES not the ETF sales by you are LONG TERM..

2. You can use the calculators on your final sales of the ETFs themselves (the shares; has nothing to do with the fee/"Proceeds" issue), which are either SHORT or LONG term depending on when you bought them.  The cost basis reductions from the payments the trusts make to themselves LOWER your ending cost basis from the original, so the final trades are the net Proceeds of your ETF sale MINUS the ADJUSTED COST basis from the calculators mentioned or from your spreadsheet for GBTC or whatever other trust you have to deal with in this manner.  

Footnotes:
1. If you try to use the TD Ameritrade cost basis factors (CBFs) to do the calculations, you CANNOT add the CBFs for the year and get the right number, because each CBF refers only to the date of a particular sale of metal/bitcoin.  The result is that each CBF is a fraction that can only be used to adjust the immediately prior cost basis, so you have to step through the calculation month by month using the CBFs. 

But if you use the amounts of stuff sold as they give you for bitcoin (the GBTC trust does in their tax PDF), you can add an entire year up, divide that by the prior year's end value of remaining stuff that you own, and multiply that by the ORIGINAL COST BASIS of your purchase.  Or you can do it stepwise, month by month using the prior month's value of the amount of "Stuff" you owned prior to the "fees being raised by the ETF," but it's more typing! 

If you own a trust that has held their "Stuff" (some other new crypto for ex.) for 365 days or less prior to their tax report, all the trades you lump together as one trade will be short term. 

BUT If they started the trust on July 1st, then you will have some short term and some long term sales to account for.   You can lump them together though as short term or long term and report two trades.  Check the boxes (ST vs. LT) on your tax program if needed.  Remember, if you bought GLD this year, the "Stuff" only yields LONG TERM trades for you as I explained just above. That means you report only one line with Box F designated.  (Long term, not reported to IRS and not on the official part of the 1099 which includes Boxes B and E btw).  Check the "Long Term" box even if you owned it less than a year. 

Unless something changes, I believe I'm right about it being a Box F transaction, and it won't really matter because the IRS wants to be paid most of all and the taxes will be the same.  They don't see Box B or E data either btw.

Last thing... In investigating this, there may be a way to add back the fees to your cost basis as an investment expense, but I would not assume that the IRS has determined that to be the case.  I don't take advantage of any borderline approaches, because I don't want to waste my time on it.  If it's borderline this year, I'll wait until it is clarified via testing by others who want to do so.  

The above is accurate to my knowledge, although I am not an accountant and don't play one on TV.  Consult an accountant if you are paranoid and have excess cash to burn.  😉  Do your own due diligence.  Some accountants may not know this stuff in detail, though some do.  Money magazine did a study years ago with 30 accountants, giving them reasonably tough, but not ridiculous tax returns to fill out and only 2/30 got everything right! Check your own taxes, because your accountant may be making mistakes.  I've seen it more than once and the errors were in the thousands of dollars, because of poor communication with their clients at times and due to lack of knowledge of the accountants at other times. 

One tangential real life example.  Did you know that accrued interest has to be entered as a line item on your Schedule B as a negative number, or you will be overpaying your taxes if you hold Treasuries/Bonds for which you paid that interest?  It's not reported to the IRS on the 1099s, which should be fixed (they collect more taxes because many taxpayers overlook the issue).  Check your work and check your accountant's work if you use someone else to file for you.  IMO...  😉

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies