Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sb3

How do I handle distributions from a 401k to IRA rollover that has EE post tax money from the 401k?

Retired in 2017 and rolled over 401k that had some EE Post tax money in it.  Can't figure out how to handle in turbotax, so i don't get taxed twice on the money.  I know form 8606 is involved..
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

How do I handle distributions from a 401k to IRA rollover that has EE post tax money from the 401k?

Since you rolled over the entire amount of the distribution from a 401(k) to an IRA, just make sure that you let the TurboTax system know that this was a complete rollover. (Just keep a record of your basis information for when you do take a distribution at a future date.)

Because you received a 1099-R, the IRS will also have received a copy of this 1099-R. You will need to report this 1099-R distribution on your tax return but none of it will be taxable. Just make sure that when you are reporting this information into TurboTax that for the question "What Did You Do With The Money From (your retirement fund)?", answer "I moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)" (see screenshot)

To enter 1099-R information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "1099r" in the search bar then select "jump to 1099r". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

Please note that all distributions will be reported on your tax return (whether or not they are taxable) on Form 1040 on line 15(a) (or 16(a)) but only the taxable portion will show on your return as taxable on line 15(b) (or 16(b)).

To preview your Form 1040:

• TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here
  • Select "Take me to my Return"
  • Go to "Tax Tools" (on the side bar) then  "Tools"
  • Under the Tools Center, select "view tax summary"
  • Select "Preview my 1040"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

Since you rolled over the entire amount of the distribution from a 401(k) to an IRA, just make sure that you let the TurboTax system know that this was a complete rollover. (Just keep a record of your basis information for when you do take a distribution at a future date.)

Because you received a 1099-R, the IRS will also have received a copy of this 1099-R. You will need to report this 1099-R distribution on your tax return but none of it will be taxable. Just make sure that when you are reporting this information into TurboTax that for the question "What Did You Do With The Money From (your retirement fund)?", answer "I moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)" (see screenshot)

To enter 1099-R information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "1099r" in the search bar then select "jump to 1099r". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

Please note that all distributions will be reported on your tax return (whether or not they are taxable) on Form 1040 on line 15(a) (or 16(a)) but only the taxable portion will show on your return as taxable on line 15(b) (or 16(b)).

To preview your Form 1040:

• TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here
  • Select "Take me to my Return"
  • Go to "Tax Tools" (on the side bar) then  "Tools"
  • Under the Tools Center, select "view tax summary"
  • Select "Preview my 1040"

I rolled over only the post tax contribution from my transitional IRA to Roth IRA. The 1099R shows the taxable amount with 2b (taxable amount not determined) checked. 

TurboTax takes all the amount reported in 1099R 2a as taxable. Where should I tell TurboTax this amount is post tax and should not be taxed again?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies