turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth 1099-R has 2a and 2b filled out somehow?

It turns out this year we were ineligible to contribute to Roth IRAs, so I went ahead and withdrew the contributions   net income attributable. Both the contributions and the withdrawal occurred in tax year 2021 (before Dec 31, 2021, actually)

On my 1099-R this year from the Roth IRA, the company marked the entire withdrawal amount in box 1 and the same amount in box 2a, but also checked box 2b taxable amount not determined. They claim the 1099 is correct, so I guess I am just unsure how to separate out the earnings vs the contributions correctly - unless it is as simple as replacing the amount they put in box 2a?

Thank you all as always for your amazing help 🙂
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would have been better if the company had entered the earnings in box 2(a) but if they refuse to correct the form 1099-R, you can follow these instructions to report the earnings on the distribution.

Hopefully, the 1099-R form has code "Q" in box 7, which would mean the distribution would not appear as taxable on your form 1040. To report the earnings, you would make an entry for a substitute form 1099-R in addition to the normal entry, and put the earnings in box 1 and box 2(a). You will see an option to create a substitute form 1099-R on the screen that says Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have when you go to enter the form 1099-R. Code the substitute form 1099-R as "J" in box 7, for early distribution from a Roth IRA.

You will need to provide an explanation for the substitute form 1099-R explaining that the original form was not correct and the broker refused to amend it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey friend, thanks so much for your help!! It looks like they entered 8J in box 7

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies