turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rollovers - How to Report Gross Distribution Checks?

Hello All,

If you receive a gross distribution check (representing the interest earned while a custodian processes a retirement distribution rollover), do you report this as an early retirement distribution?

My custodian said that they wouldn't be able to rollover these check amounts and I might as well just cash the checks (given they were smaller in nature, i.e.  <$30) and pay the tax, but I didn't receive any 1099 specifically related to these checks (only received 1099s for the aggregate rollover amounts prior to receiving the interest checks). Therefore, I wasn't sure how to account for these in TurboTax to accurately report.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
jtax
Level 10

When you enter (or import) the 1099-R's into TT, TT will ask you in the interview what you did with the money. Tell it you rolled over the amount you rolled over. The amount you didn't rollover will then be treated as income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Issue is the checks I received are dated early January 2024 so the custodian mentioned I wont receive tax forms for those checks until next year - therefore, should I just wait to report those checks until 2024? Thanks!

jtax
Level 10

Sorry. my mistake for not reading more carefully. If the checks were issued in 2024, you received them in 2024, and you did not get a 2023 1099-R for them, then I would say yes, nothing goes on your 2023 return for them. You should get a 1099-R for 2024 (in early 2025). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies