turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about Backdoor Roth Conversion

This year I moved half of my Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. Didn't realize I should have moved the whole amount so now I am going to have to pay. Anyway, in doing my taxes I am being asked what the Total Value is of my Traditional IRA on December 31, 2019. If I moved out of Stocks and now the money is sitting in my IRA Money Market is that still considered a value of my TIRA and be entered? Thank you in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

The year-end value of your traditional IRAs is the combined Fair Market Value of all amounts contained within all of your traditional IRAs (including SEP and SIMPLE IRAs) on December 31.  Money in a money market account held by your traditional IRA is still part of the FMV of your traditional IRAs.

Had you moved your whole traditional IRA to the Roth IRA instead of only half, you would have to pay even more in taxes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The year-end value of your traditional IRAs is the combined Fair Market Value of all amounts contained within all of your traditional IRAs (including SEP and SIMPLE IRAs) on December 31.  Money in a money market account held by your traditional IRA is still part of the FMV of your traditional IRAs.

Had you moved your whole traditional IRA to the Roth IRA instead of only half, you would have to pay even more in taxes.

Thank you for the information and your time 😊

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies