turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roy2

How do I put an entry in line 15a? I made a QCD from and RMD and am unable to override in line 15a.

IRS 1040 instructions say to put the total 1099-R amount in line 15a and the taxable amount in line 15b and enter QCD nect to the amount.  I am unable to do thos and cannot override line 15a.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

How do I put an entry in line 15a? I made a QCD from and RMD and am unable to override in line 15a.

QCDs are only permitted to be made from IRAs and only after you have reached age 70½.

Do not use overrides.  Enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received under Wages & Income-> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).  Make sure that the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked on TurboTax's 1099-R form as it should be on the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.  In the follow-up, when asked, indicate that you had the IRA custodian transfer some or all of the distribution to charity and indicate the amount.  TurboTax will automatically include the gross amount of the distribution on Form 1040 line 15a or Form 1040A line 11a but exclude the QCD amount from the amount on line 15b or 11b.  TurboTax will also put the notation "QCD" next to the line.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

QCDs are only permitted to be made from IRAs and only after you have reached age 70½.

Do not use overrides.  Enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received under Wages & Income-> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).  Make sure that the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked on TurboTax's 1099-R form as it should be on the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.  In the follow-up, when asked, indicate that you had the IRA custodian transfer some or all of the distribution to charity and indicate the amount.  TurboTax will automatically include the gross amount of the distribution on Form 1040 line 15a or Form 1040A line 11a but exclude the QCD amount from the amount on line 15b or 11b.  TurboTax will also put the notation "QCD" next to the line.

roy2

In the follow-up I was not asked if I "had the IRA custodian transfer some or all of the distribution to charity".
roy2

Thanks dmertz.  I had not completed the 1099-R.  All is good!!
bbeery

I cannot get to a "followup"

bbeery

How do I get to a human for help?

dmertz
Level 15

The "follow-up" is the set of questions TurboTax asks after you click the Continue button on the 1099-R entry page.

TurboTax only asks the QCD question if the recipient was age 70½ or over during the tax year and the distribution was a regular distribution from a traditional IRA (indicated by code 7 in box 7 and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked).

How do I handle QCD entries in TurboTax??

dmertz
Level 15

Already answered above.

jway
Returning Member

Turbo tax does not ask about QCD in follow up questions. Even under Edit.

jway
Returning Member

I completed 1099R questions ,have box 7 checked and am over 70 1/2.

dmertz
Level 15

2020 TurboTax presently (version R14) has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary QCD question for those with birthdates between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950. As a workaround for this, with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949, edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity, then change your birthdate in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is the correct workaround. In addition, this action can be performed in Turbo Tax online as well as the desktop version of Turbo Tax. To verify this, I changed my birthdate to a date prior to July 1, 1949. Once I did this, this generated an additional entry in the Tell us if  any of these Common Situations Apply. There is now an entry that says I transferred All or Part of Money Directly to Charity. Select this and this will generate additional questions to be answered. After this process is complete, then you can correct your birthdate.  Here is the screenshot that should appear and the additional entry that generated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jway
Returning Member

Thank you . This did work but I had to deal with all the questions about RMD's because it thought I was now 72. It also made my Form 5498 wrong but I don't have to report that to IRS even though it asks for the amount on the form.

keyofgwiz

There are no questions associated with QCD under 1099r section of Turbo Tax.  Where do I input the information?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies