turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

john2017

pensions

In my 2017 1040, on line 16a I entered $33,798 (witch is the correct amount) however in line 16b the taxable amount is only $6,898.  What is the deduction of $26,900?  I received an audit letter that says I owe taxes on this $26,900. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

pensions

The Form 1099-R is a user entered form. 

Look at the PDF of your 2017 tax return for the Form 1099-R worksheet.  What amount is entered in box 2a?

Box 2a is the taxable amount of the distribution reported on the 1099-R and is entered on the 2017 Form 1040 Line 16b.  Is the federal taxes withheld amount shown in box 4  of the Form 1099-R the same amount as shown on the Form 1040 Line 16b?

What is the distribution code entered in box 7?  

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

john2017

pensions

Thanks,  I don't have a 1099 R worksheet.  The code inbox 7 is 7

pensions

The worksheet is included in the 2017 PDF download.  Without the worksheet we will not know how the tax data from the Form 1099-R was actually entered.

Is the amount shown on the Form 1040 Line 16b the same amount as is entered on the Form 1099-R box 4?

john2017

pensions

Only 0's were entered in box 4

pensions

What you are indicating is that absolutely no federal income taxes were withheld from the distribution as reported.

What type of account was this distribution from, 401(k), 403(b), company pension plan, annuity?  Or was this distribution from an IRA account, Traditional or Roth?

As previously stated, you really need to get the PDF of this tax return and look at the Form 1099-R worksheet that is included in the PDF so that we can give you some reason why the amount shown on the Form 1040 Line 16b was not the same amount as shown on your Form 1099-R box 2a.

pensions

What is in box 2a on the 1099R?   The taxable amount on line 16b is based on your answers to the questions.  You either entered an amount wrong or answered a question wrong.  Does it say anything by line 16b?  Like ROLLOVER?  Did you manually enter the 1099R or import it?  The IRS could also be wrong.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies