Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my W2 there is an excess 3 cent contribution over the limit for CA-SDI and Turbo Tax Premier Desktop is not letting me efile. It gets into a loop. Help?

error msg: On Form W2 from <company> you entered California SDI greater than <$limit> ... you may have entered an incorrect code on box 14. NO everything is correct, just that my company contributed an extra 3 cents and this is not passing error check and I am unable to eFile.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

On my W2 there is an excess 3 cent contribution over the limit for CA-SDI and Turbo Tax Premier Desktop is not letting me efile. It gets into a loop. Help?

I would take evasive action to get past the error check so that you can file. I say this because your employer has already sent the SDI to the State of California, so the State is not being shortchanged.

Where are you getting this error message? in the W-2 interview? In the State Review? As you try to e-file?

And while the State might check on the SDI value on their end, I am somewhat doubtful that they will reject a return that shows too much SDI.

So I would calculate what the SDI should be (see this webpage), and then enter that on the W-2. And as always, document what you did and why and stick it in your tax files in case anyone ever asks.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hello38

I'm hitting the exact same loop and this seems to be a bug in TurboTax. My employer withheld 1601.61, or 1 cent over the maximum. California says to contact the employer for a refund in the event of an excess contribution, which I will do later, but that isn't relevant to submitting my taxes.

TurboTax keeps insisting I made an error in entering this SDI value (despite the fact that I imported the W2 directly from the payroll provider and also manually confirmed the value) and won't allow me to proceed to submit the return.

Transmit Returns Now -> We Need to Make One More Check -> Box 14 (On Form W-2 from [employer], you entered California SDI and/or VPDI greater than $1,601.60. Since the maximum SDI/VPDI withholding for 2022 is $1,601.60, you may have entered an incorrect code on an entry in box 14. Review your entries, and make any necessary changes. -> [I confirm that $1,601.61 matches my W2 and there is no error] -> Continue -> Transmit Returns Now -> We Need to Make One More Check -> ... and so on ...

This is aggravating and prevents me from e-filing both federal and state returns! TurboTax seems to be leaving me 2 bad choices from this bug:

- "fix" my W2 entry in TurboTax to have the incorrect value of 1601.60 to avoid this error and allow me to e-file

- print and file manually, despite having already paid for state e-file (and likely in violation of e-file requirements)

Fix this bug asap!

It says you can't enter an amount greater than $1601.60 and you keep entering an amount greater, even if only by a penny.   Stop entering an amount greater and you'll be fine.   Quit trying to confirm an amount that it tells you can't be used and put in the maximum amount allowed and it will file just fine. 

Just leave off the cents.  Don't worry about it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies