turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Durrrr

On my 1099-G, box 11 has an amount of state income tax withheld but 10a and 10b are blank. Do I just fill in my state in 10a and how would I find the answer to 10b?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

On my 1099-G, box 11 has an amount of state income tax withheld but 10a and 10b are blank. Do I just fill in my state in 10a and how would I find the answer to 10b?

If you actually had an amount in box 11, then state taxes were withheld on the income that the 1099-G is reporting. In this case, you need to enter something in box 10b as well as the data in 10a.

In box 10a, enter the abbreviated name of the state. In box 10b, enter the filer's state identification number. The state number is the filer's identification number assigned by the individual state.

You will need to contact the issuer of the 1099-G for the correct value to put into box 10b. It may be the same as that entity's EIN (Employer Identification Number), but it could be different as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
elocinshadow
Returning Member

but then why does it say it's fine to leave it blank? 

When your filling it says to leave blank if it's blank on the form. 

Then when you go to file it says you have to fix the blank box or you have to do a paper file. 

So why is that? when will it be updated to accommodate it? 

This is the exact same problem im having. It tells me leave blank if nothing, so i leave it blank, and it tells me "needs review" and a red outline says "enter information" which again, there is none.

@allanime01 wrote:

This is the exact same problem im having. It tells me leave blank if nothing, so i leave it blank, and it tells me "needs review" and a red outline says "enter information" which again, there is none.

Enter the same number in box 10b as the Payer's TIN.  Enter the state 2 character abbreviation in box 10a.

elocinshadow
Returning Member

then what happens if it's different? 

@elocinshadow wrote:

then what happens if it's different? 

It would not be rejected if different.  However, since the Payer is the State the State Identification number should be the same.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies