turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhealy67

Is a QCD eligible from a BDA IRA where decedent was over 70.5 and has an RMD but NSPS is under 70.5?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is a QCD eligible from a BDA IRA where decedent was over 70.5 and has an RMD but NSPS is under 70.5?

No. QCDs can be made only from traditional IRAs and traditional inherited IRAs. (If making a QCD from an inherited IRA, the client would still need to be age 70½ to qualify.)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No. QCDs can be made only from traditional IRAs and traditional inherited IRAs. (If making a QCD from an inherited IRA, the client would still need to be age 70½ to qualify.)

dmertz
Level 15

To be eligible to make a QCD from an inherited/beneficiary traditional IRA, the beneficiary must be age 70½ or over at the time of the distribution.  The age of the decedent does not matter.

(Specifically, to make a QCD, the one for whom the IRA is maintained must be age 70½ or over at the time of the distribution.  In the case of a BDA IRA, the one for whom the IRA is maintained is the beneficiary.)

I would dearly love to know what NSPS stands for. The answer appears not to exist on my version of the internet, although it DOES appear on my investment statement.

dmertz
Level 15

My guess is that it is referring to a non-spouse beneficiary, but it's irrelevant with regard to making a QCD.  To make a QCD, the one for whom the IRA is maintained must be age 70½ or over.

Yes, I was thinking it was "Non-Spouse Something Something."  My actual question is more curiosity about the abbreviation than the original posted question. This thread is one of the very few internet search hits I found that even includes NSPS in the context of investing/banking!

Thx!

dmertz
Level 15

Perhaps just Non-SPouSe.

*forehead slap*
And now I can sleep at night. 😆

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies