Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Form 1099-R shows Federal Tax withheld on line 4. Do I have to report this as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

My Form 1099-R shows Federal Tax withheld on line 4. Do I have to report this as income?

The amount of Federal Tax withheld will be credited to the amount of other withholding that you have made.

However, you do not get to reduce the amount in box 1 by the amount in box 4.

For example, if Box 1 is $10,000 and box 4 is $3,000, you will receive as cash $7,000, but you will owe tax on the entire $10,000 (other things being equal). The $3,000 will be used to help pay your tax bill when it is finally calculated.

Make sense?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reply I got.  Please tell me why I should not feel like I'm being taxed twice for the same thing.  This is a death benefit, if that even matters. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Box 1 is the "total distribution". This is the total amount taken out of the retirement account.

Box 2a is the "taxable amount", which is often but not always the same amount as Box 1 (and sometimes it is blank because the issuer of the 1099-R doesn't know the taxable amount).

Box 4 is the amount of Box 1 that was not sent to you, because it is being sent to the IRS to help pay your tax bill. It is not income, but you do not get to deduct it from either Box 1 or Box 2a.

Why do you feel you are being tax twice on the same thing?

Yes, a death benefit may or may not affect the taxability of the income, but my guess is that this does not affect your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You are not being taxed twice. 

You are taxed once on your 2020 tax return.    1099-R box 4 withholding is just estimating  the tax and  goes on line 25c on your 1040 form and offsets your overall tax liability - just like W-2 withholding.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies