turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I filed and received a Philadelphia Wage Tax Refund. This year I received a 1099-G. Is this taxable? The input does not have my situation in the software

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Last year I filed and received a Philadelphia Wage Tax Refund. This year I received a 1099-G. Is this taxable? The input does not have my situation in the software

The question is whether or not you used this Philadelphia city tax (I assume that's what it is) to deduct last year (2019) as a state or local tax on Schedule A on your federal return.

If you did not Itemize in 2019 (and less than 10% of tax payers did), then the 1099-G is not taxable to you in 2020.

In this case, don't enter the 1099-G, but put a note on it that you did not enter it because you did not itemize in 2019, and save it in your tax file.

If you in fact did itemize in 2019, come back and tell us because we will have to explain what to do.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

The question is whether or not you used this Philadelphia city tax (I assume that's what it is) to deduct last year (2019) as a state or local tax on Schedule A on your federal return.

If you did not Itemize in 2019 (and less than 10% of tax payers did), then the 1099-G is not taxable to you in 2020.

In this case, don't enter the 1099-G, but put a note on it that you did not enter it because you did not itemize in 2019, and save it in your tax file.

If you in fact did itemize in 2019, come back and tell us because we will have to explain what to do.

Hi Bill,

Philadelphia charges a wage tax if you work in Philly, but live outside of Philly.  (also if you live in Philly and it doesn't matter where you work, but that doesn't apply to me)

This appears on my W2 in Box 18,19,20 as a locality tax. In this case let's assume $2,000.00 was paid to the City of Philadelphia in 2019 from my employer for this tax. 

Philadelphia allows you to request a reimbursement, verified through your employer for time worked outside the city, and will reimburse an amount based on a worksheet they provide.  In this case let's say this amount was for $900 they approved and sent back to me.

I took the standard deduction, but wasn't sure if this added information changes anything.

Thank you in advance for your help.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for the additional information to clarify your situation.  It does not change the original answer provided by BillM223.  Since you did not itemize your deductions on your 2019 tax return, you do not need to report this reimbursement as income.

Be sure to follow the advice regarding making a note for your files and keeping the form with your tax return papers.  

@kingtoros

dgooty

Following this thread, but my question relates to how it would impact my NJ tax return?  Following the example that BillM223 provided, in 2019 I received a tax credit in NJ for the Phila. wage tax I paid.  After I filed my return I received the refund from Phila. for a portion of the wage tax.  I am assuming I now have to file an amended NJ return for 2019 to correct the amount of the credit?  Also will there be penalties from NJ for not having paid the correct amount in 2019?  Thank you

You should only have to amend your 2019 federal return if you itemized deductions last year.  You can go through the amendment steps and see if there is an impact on your NJ return.  If there is any tax owed to NJ after you enter the 1099-G then print and mail the amended 2019 NJ return.  

However, it's only taxable to the extent that it's more than the refund you would have received by choosing the larger refund from these: Standard deduction. General sales tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies