turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the amount I receive from work for a screening the amount that goes in the 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Is the amount I receive from work for a screening the amount that goes in the 1099?

It depends.  Can you give us a little background of your situation?

1. For an example, are you a W2 employee and did you receive a 1099 from your employer reporting the screening as income?
  2. If you didn't receive a 1099, are you trying to find out how to report the extra income?
  3. Chances are, your employer may have reflected this amount as W2 wages already either in Box 1 or as a benefit either in box 12 or box 14.
  4. Please provide the missing details of your inquiry.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a w2 from whirlpool. I think I should've phrased it better. Think it's a 1099 G. It applies to the HSA account at work. They put money in it due to a biometric screening.

A 1099G is issued by state governments.

You might have a 1099-NEC or a 1099-MISC.  Either of these is completely incorrect for the company to issue in this situation. If the company is paying an incentive bonus to you in cash, it must be included in your W-2 box 1 wages and is subject to ordinary federal, state, and Social Security and Medicare tax withholding, just like all your other wages.

If the company is giving you an incentive by depositing money in your HSA, this would only be reported in your W-2 in box 12 with code W.  When you make contributions to an HSA by payroll deduction, they are treated as though they are employer contributions because you have agreed to a voluntary salary reduction and the employer is paying part of your salary into the HSA. Box 12 with code W should list all of the contributions made by you through payroll deduction as well as any employer contributions.

If your employer issued a 1099, they need to cancel it. The money should be listed in box 12 with code W and nowhere else. The incentive is not taxable to you in any way unless the total of all your HSA contributions for the year exceeds your eligibility limit.

If the employer will not cancel the 1099 and issue a corrected W-2, there is a way to work around the problem in TurboTax, however, you should contact your employer and ask for the correction first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies