Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

joanne373
Returning Member

Is anyone else having an issue entering income? It doesn't show up after I enter my 1099-NEC.

YES.  Me too Does not register.  TURBO TAX please correct

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Is anyone else having an issue entering income? It doesn't show up after I enter my 1099-NEC.

Please clarify. You have posted on an older thread that includes issues from prior tax years that were since resolved. What version of TurboTax are you using? Where in the program did you enter information from a Form 1099-NEC? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is still an issue.  The amount shows up on Schedule C but doesn't appear on the list of income, even though that's where you enter it, and there's a line item for it.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The presentation of IRS form 1099-NEC is that way because the IRS presumes that IRS form 1099-NEC income is self-employment income that is subject to self-employment tax computed on Schedule SE as well as income tax computed on IRS Form 1040.

In an effort to eliminate this confusion, I recommend that you:

• First, create the self-employment activities within TurboTax, then, 
  • Second, enter IRS form 1099-NEC income into the appropriate self-employment activity.

So, if you have self-employment activities A and B and IRS forms 1099-NEC W, X, Y and Z:

• Create self-employment activity A, then
  • Create self-employment activity B, then

Enter the appropriate IRS form 1099-NEC into the correct self-employment activity.  For instance,

• Enter IRS form 1099-NEC W and X into self-employment activity A, and
  • Enter IRS form 1099-NEC Y and Z into self-employment activity B.

In TurboTax Online, create the self-employment activity by following these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Self-employment  click on the dropdown menu.
  • Click Start/Revisit to the right of Self-employment income and expenses.

In TurboTax Online, within the create the self-employment activity:

• Click Edit to the right of the appropriate self-employment activity.
  • Under Income, select Add income for this work.
  • Select Form 1099-NEC.  Click Continue.
  • Enter the appropriate income.

Thank you for your reply, @JamesG1.  I appreciate it.

I was just commenting that 1099-NEC is listed under Other Common Income within Personal Income, and one can enter their 1099-NECs there, but $0 appears once you're done.  It does get passed through to Schedule C, though.

Given that the previous year's amount is displayed, it's not surprising that people question this behavior.

It's just a bit of UI bafflement and TurboTax might be able to make this a little less baffling.

brellim

Yes.  I am having the same issue. 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Do you have a question that hasn't been answered by the previous posts? The income from Form 1099-NEC is reported under Other Income or Self-Employment, though it may not appear on the income summary page.

@brellim 

gb1
Level 3

Line item under Personal Income explicitly says "Income from Form 1099-NEC".

Yet it says $0

Has anyone been able to over this issue in 2023 TT?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Is it self-employment income?   If so, it goes to the business tab.   @gb1 

gb1
Level 3

Same flow listed self-employment income under Personal Income summary. As a matter of fact, last year's amount still shows up under 2022 column. This is how people catch the differences from last year.

Have the same issue w 2023 TT Home & Business.  Personal income show $0 from 1099NEC of the business income section.  I think because of that many personal deductions like donations & IRA contributions are not being calculated.  

Please advise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies