turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA rollovers

In 2020 we rolled over a sum from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.  TurboTax insists that we do not pay tax on the rollover.  This does not make sense to me.  I do not understand how to re-enter the 1099-R so that tax is paid.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

IRA rollovers

I think I see the issue.  Even though a Roth conversion is treated in the tax code as a taxable rollover, in TurboTax you must explicitly report it as a Roth conversion and not as a rollover.  If TurboTax does not provide the selection to indicate that you converted the entire amount to Roth (some versions do not), indicate that you did a combination of rolling over, converting and cashing out, then indicate the amount that was converted to Roth.  This distinction is necessary because nothing on a Form 1099-R for a distribution from a traditional IRA indicates what you did with the money.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

IRA rollovers

Code 2 means that you are not subject to an "additional" tax, a 10% early-distribution excise tax (penalty).  This is what TurboTax is telling you.  TurboTax is not telling you that the distribution is not subject to income tax.

Check Form 1040 line 4b to see that the Roth conversion is being included in taxable income.

IRA rollovers

Message.jpg

Above is the TurboTax message.  The rollover is definitely not included in the tax calculation.

dmertz
Level 15

IRA rollovers

I think I see the issue.  Even though a Roth conversion is treated in the tax code as a taxable rollover, in TurboTax you must explicitly report it as a Roth conversion and not as a rollover.  If TurboTax does not provide the selection to indicate that you converted the entire amount to Roth (some versions do not), indicate that you did a combination of rolling over, converting and cashing out, then indicate the amount that was converted to Roth.  This distinction is necessary because nothing on a Form 1099-R for a distribution from a traditional IRA indicates what you did with the money.

IRA rollovers

Thanks.  That is the solution!

h-poch1

IRA rollovers

Where did I enter a rollover of the 1099

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

IRA rollovers

Box 7 of your 1099-R form would be marked as a rollover. (Code G or H). 

You can go back to review your input in the Federal interview section as follows: 

1. Select Income & Expenses 
  2. Scroll down to All Income 
  3. Select show more to the right of Retirement Plans & Social Security 
  4. Select start/revisit to the right of IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) 

Edit 1099-R

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fred70

IRA rollovers

I receive the form 1099 r showing  my withdraw OF money from my IRA account and then I received form 5498 for rollover contributions . I understand this should not be considered income and therefore is not taxable. How do I put this on my TurboTax form

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

IRA rollovers

It sounds like this was an indirect rollover.  If so, the 1099-R form you were issued should reflect this.

You will enter the information in the Federal interview section of the program.

1. Select Income & Expenses 
  2. Scroll down to All Income 
  3. Select show more to the right of Retirement Plans & Social Security 
  4. Select start/revisit to the right of IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) 
  5. To enter additional 1099-R forms, simply select +Add Another 1099-R
  6. Enter your information as prompted within the program.  You will indicate that you rolled over the money into another IRA when asked What did you do with the money from the institution.

Please see the links below for additional information.

Indirect vs direct rollover

IRA Contribution Form - 5498

@fred70

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies