turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lawade11

Address of payer on my 1099-R is a po box rather than the street address that's auto filled in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeoffreyG

Address of payer on my 1099-R is a po box rather than the street address that's auto filled in.

If the program will accept the value that "auto filled" into the data field for a Form 1099-R address, then you can safely leave it as it is.  Otherwise, you should be able to alternatively type in a street address over the PO Box.  In short, the address shown on your Form 1099-R, and what is entered into the TurboTax software, is really not a critical item.  Please allow us a moment to explain that.

The only truly necessary information found on your 1099-R (that the IRS looks to see, anyway) is your Social Security Number, the 9-digit Employer Identification Number (EIN) of the pension company or payer, and your actual pension data (i.e., the numbers and codes found in the boxes).  The rest of the information shown on the 1099-R is not essential to the accurate acceptance and processing of your tax return.  Yet, for reasons of completeness, the TurboTax program asks users to fill in all of the fields from their 1099-R.

Sometimes, there is no pension company address even shown at all.  In those instances you can safely substitute and use other address (just don't change the EIN).  Alternatively, you can simply input your own street address, including state and ZIP code, into the 1099-R address field.  The point of this is that as long as the EIN is correct, the IRS, and anyone else such as a state department of revenue, will know what the truth is, as far as who or what the pension company is.

Thus, either of these alternative address choices is an acceptable way to enter your 1099-R, and file your tax return.

Thank you for asking this question.
kwknutson

are the EIN number and a TIN the same thing

Yes, EIN is one of  the Tax Identification numbers (TIN)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies