turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sweenewv

If I have already maxed out my social security tax do I still have to pay for additional income as a board of director

I maxed out my social security contribution in my primary job.  I received a 1099-c for board of director work for another company, reported on line 7.  Do I still owe self employment tax on this amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If I have already maxed out my social security tax do I still have to pay for additional income as a board of director

If you have already paid social security tax on $132,900 on your primary job, then on your 1099-MISC income, you only pay self-employment tax at the rate of 2.9% (which is the Medicare element of the tax).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you also have W2 income, you have to break out the Social Security and Medicare taxes. Only the Social Security part maxes out.  Turbo Tax does it automatically for you.

The SE tax includes what you already paid in from your W2s so your schedule SE tax will only be the difference up to the max amount of $8,249.80 for social security. The max income for social security for 2019 is $132,900 between W2 wages and the schedule C Net Profit.

Medicare is 2.9% (both er & ee parts) of all wages & schedule C profit - no max.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies