Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arbkj

I quit my job and my employer closed my 401k sent me a ck & 1099r. They did it automatically. Is there anything I can claim to lessen the tax implications?

I am only 52 so it is considered an early withdraw.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

I quit my job and my employer closed my 401k sent me a ck & 1099r. They did it automatically. Is there anything I can claim to lessen the tax implications?

It depends. Since you are under age 59 ½, you will have to pay a 10% penalty on the distribution. The IRS does allow some exceptions to the penalty including total and permanent disability, unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your AGI or rollover into another retirement plan within 60 days. Please refer to the IRS website Retirement Topics - Exceptions to Tax on Early Distributions and the TurboTax Help article  What are the exceptions to the penalty for an early withdrawal from my 401(k)? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@dmertz

is it considered an error on the part of the custodian to not inform you of your rollover options?

dmertz
Level 15

CFR 1.402(f)-1 Q&A-2 requires the employer to provide a written explanation to recipients about rollover options at least 30 days before the distribution unless the recipient waives the requirement.  Failure of the employer to provide such written explanation might constitute an error on the part of the distributing financial institution that  would allow one to self-certify that the distribution would qualify for a waiver of the 60-day rollover deadline under Rev. Proc. 2020-46.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies