turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to file my spouse's 1099-NEC, but the form reverts to me, and during the federal review section, it won't let me choose her as the recipient of the 1099.

I've tried reentering the information, but it continues to revert and give me error indications during the review: Oops! It looks like you're entering your spouse's info. Enter your info here.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

I'm trying to file my spouse's 1099-NEC, but the form reverts to me, and during the federal review section, it won't let me choose her as the recipient of the 1099.

If you are working in TurboTax and not Quick Employer Forms, try deleting the 1099-NEC then logging out of TurboTax.  Then log back in.

After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099-NEC in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099-NEC input screens. 
  • There add the 1099-NEC.  

At the 1099-NEC screen you will be able to select who the 1099-NEC is for.

I follow those steps, unfortunately again it switched to me after I saved it. 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue linking a 1099-NEC to the correct person. The name on the NEC is reverting to the main taxpayer's name.

If you're experiencing the issue above,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well, that is unfortunate.  Is there a timeline for the fix? I'd like to file my taxes. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

While this is being addressed in the program, here are some steps you can try to work around the issue.

Entering the Form 1099-NEC directly through a specific Schedule C will match the ownership of that Form 1099-NEC to the taxpayer who runs the Schedule C business.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of the Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

@Vander84

I just tried again and it seems like the issue has been fixed.  I can now enter the 1099-NECs in the usual way and they stay assigned to the correct person.

Atomic83
Returning Member

Still not working. How long does it take to fix???

You may have to delete the form and re-enter it so you can tie it to your spouse's income instead of yours.  Here is how:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Here is a TurboTax article about form 1099-NEC.

@Atomic83

Atomic83
Returning Member

This does not work for me. I've tried this multiple times, as well as logging out and back in. When it comes time to review I continue to get the message "Oops! It looks like you're entering your spouse's info. Enter your info here."

Update: It now works for me. I did nothing different other than delete the form and recreate it. I had already done this no less than 5 times. It's also fitting that it starts working the day after my discount expired. Now the cost for Premiere is $25 more than when I tried to finish previously.

The error message that you saw was confusing to most people.  What it was doing was alerting you that the NEC was for your spouse not, for yourself.  Because you actually were entering your spouse's 1099-NEC, you could just ignore the message.  But that message has been removed from the latest updates.

I am having a similar issue with the 1099-MISC for the 2022 tax year. 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify which version you are using?  I have attempted to enter a 1099-MISC and am having no issue selecting a spouse for the 1099-MISC.  Providing the version and actual rejection you are receiving will help us determine what is going on with your return.

@ceruttil  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies