turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In PA, what is the "State Type Code" for retirement income for an inherited IRA? I'm under retirement age. Already entered in fed section, but that didn't help in state.

Note: the only options that appear remote possibilities are: no entry, early distribution from a ret. plan, rollover, I'm eligible; plan's eligible (no P. tax), I'm not eligible yet; plans' eligible in Pa, Traditional or Roth IRA -over 59.5, Traditional or Roth Ira, under 59.5, non-qualified deferred comp plan, life insurance or endowment,
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In PA, what is the "State Type Code" for retirement income for an inherited IRA? I'm under retirement age. Already entered in fed section, but that didn't help in state.

I'm eligible, plan eligible   will result in the retirement plan distribution not being taxed.  For info on what is taxable or non taxable, see:   https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1470

An inherited IRA is generally coded 4 in box 7 of the 1099R and is not taxable unless marked 4D.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I'm eligible, plan eligible   will result in the retirement plan distribution not being taxed.  For info on what is taxable or non taxable, see:   https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1470

An inherited IRA is generally coded 4 in box 7 of the 1099R and is not taxable unless marked 4D.

Thank you!
jmitch171
Returning Member

so what do you enter for the state type code if it is marked as 4D?

What PA State type code do I use for a 1099-R distribution code 4D?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your question. Are you asking about entering Box 15 of your Form 1099-R?

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, I am asking what "State Type Code" I should choose for 1099_R distribution code 4D while preparing my PA return in TurboTax.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The distribution code 4D indicates that this is a non-qualified annuity that you have inherited. The best State Type Code that fits is a Non-qualified deferred comp plan. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies