turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JH-HH
Returning Member

I live in IL visit KY for 2-3 months of the year. Gave the advisor my alternate address for that time. He put KY on my 1099r by mistake and wont fix it. How do i file

Taxes taken out for KY and I  need to have the 1099r say IL and not KY
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I live in IL visit KY for 2-3 months of the year. Gave the advisor my alternate address for that time. He put KY on my 1099r by mistake and wont fix it. How do i file

I don't understand your question.  First, your advisor cant put your address on a 1099-R because the 1099-R is issued by your retirement account trustee, you don't issue one.  Second, it doesn't matter what address is on your tax paperwork, and your addresses don't have to match.  The address that you put on your tax return (form 1040) should be the address where you want tax-related mail.  It doesn't have to be where you live, and your other tax paperwork doesn't have to match.  If you filed your return using an address that is not where you want to get tax-related mail from the IRS, you can file a change of address form.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

Carl
Level 15

@opus you missed something.

Taxes taken out for KY

Now there's really not enough information to work with here. But I get the impression the OP is not a resident of KY and is probably not even a non-resident either.  So KY taxes were most likely withheld in error.  But like you said, and "advisor" doesn't issue a tax form. So you don't have the whole story.

@JH-HH - KY and IL have reciprocity agreements......let's wait for someone else to weigh in as I am not 100% positive, but I suspect you may have to just complete the IL return and list the KY withholdings on it..... 

JH-HH
Returning Member

So this is the situation..I live in IL but also have a house in KY that I go to for a total of  2-3 months during the year. I gave the employer I get my retirement pension from my alternate address when I was there one time because they needed to send me some forms, instead of "just" sending me  the forms they changed my address, to the KY as my permanent address, which is not the case.  I didn't notice it until tax time when I got my 1099R with the KY on it and taxes taken out for KY instead of IL.  I have called them and sent emails several times each time telling me they would fix it, but never do. I got a call from them saying that they would not fix the form since it had already been sent to the state of KY. So I have not filed my state taxes as yet waiting for them. I don't think I can just change it myself. Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Carl
Level 15

If the form shows taxes withheld for KY, changing the form does not change the fact that taxes were withheld for KY.

@JH-HH - the broker is not going to change it for 2021; it is water under the bridge. 

Suggest calling state of IL and ask what to do, but I wonder if they are going to say to just listed the KY withholding on the IL tax form because the two states have a recoprocity agreements. 

TomD8
Level 15

@JH-HH --

The correct procedure is for you to file a non-resident KY tax return, allocating zero income to KY but showing the KY withholding, in order for you to obtain a refund of the incorrectly withheld KY taxes.  ALL your income, including that on the 1099-R, should be allocated to your home state of Illinois.  Illinois doesn't tax retirement income, but you still need to report the 1099-R on your tax return.

As others have said, the mailing address on your tax return should be whatever address you want the taxing authorities to use in case they need to contact you.  Your state tax obligations are not determined by your mailing address.

If KY questions your return, explain the situation to them just as you explained it here.

The KY-IL reciprocity agreement does not apply to 1099-R income and thus is irrelevant to your situation.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies