Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I keep getting asked to enter 1099-NEC info, yet I do not have one. I'm a W2. Was 1099-NEC last year, but deleted it from income when I started. How do I remove this?

this only got triggered when I went to do final review after entering all state info.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I keep getting asked to enter 1099-NEC info, yet I do not have one. I'm a W2. Was 1099-NEC last year, but deleted it from income when I started. How do I remove this?

If this form does not apply to you, you can simply remove it from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online version: 

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 1099-NEC and Continue with My Return

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

On your 2019 income tax return, if you did not enter that you stopped or closed your business, the business information transferred to your 2020 income tax return. 

Follow these instructions to delete a business that transferred over from your 2019 return but is no longer owned by you as of January 1, 2020.

Instructions

1. With your return open, search for business (schedule c). Be sure to include the parentheses.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Your 2020 self-employed work summary screen, select the trash can icon next to the defunct business.
  4. Answer Yes, delete this info to confirm the removal of all business-related forms.

The 1099-NEC form specifically reports Nonemployee Compensation which you may have gotten in previous years on a 1099-MISC. So, if you're self-employed and worked as a freelancer or contractor last year, you probably got a 1099-NEC reporting how much money you were paid in box 1. 

Self-employment income:

• Is money you earn as a contractor, consultant, freelancer, or other independent worker.
  • It's reported on 1099-NEC (Box 1), 1099-K (Box 1a), or as cash, check or credit card sales transactions.
  • Requires you to complete Schedule C.
  • You can deduct expense related to the income.
  • Requires you to pay self-employment tax.

I've done this step multiple times. My income area only show the W2's from my wife and I. 

When I go into the Schedule C page and say "no" it takes me back to my income page and looks fine. Only when I go to review, and only after I stated my state return did this issue come up. Fearing I may have to clear and restart.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If this form does not apply to you, you can simply remove it from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online version: 

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 1099-NEC and Continue with My Return

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year. 

I'm glad I'm not the only person experiencing this. My situation was exactly the same, I had 1099-MISC income last year, but not this year. When I reached the Review, it asked me to fill in my 1099-NEC information, but I had not added a 1099-NEC to this year's income. I have already cleared and started over once, and I am running into the same issues the second time around. Hopefully they fix this soon, it would suck to be audited because of a buggy back end carrying over phantom data from last year's filing.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You can delete the 1099-NEC that was carried over from a 1099-MISC on your prior year return. 

To summarize information as shown above, please follow the steps below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results. 
  4. Delete any 1099-NEC's entries with the trash can icon. 

@jeustis

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies