turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have only Soc Security. How can I enter my bank account info when my return amt. is zero? I won't be able to get the stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have only Soc Security. How can I enter my bank account info when my return amt. is zero? I won't be able to get the stimulus check?

To efile complete a 1099-DIV and enter $1.00 in the capital gains box. For payor enter “to enable efile “.

That may allow you to efile (which you do not need to do to get the stimulus check) but it will not allow you to enter direct deposit information since you will NOT have a refund on the return.  

Per AARP :  

If you are receiving Social Security benefits but didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019, you will be eligible to receive a stimulus check without a tax return based on data available to the IRS from your annual Social Security benefits statement. The government will send you a direct deposit or check using the information from your Form SSA-1099 Social Security.

@Bsch4477 

For future reference ....   To efile a zero income return the easiest way it to enter $1 of BANK interest. 

@Critter  Entering $1.00 of bank interest was the method used in our Taxaide/Vita program in the past, and in fact, I used it once this tax season with no reject. But the current policy is to report that amount as capital gains.  I don’t know why the policy was changed. 

Either way will work but it is not needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies