Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have an IRA, I did not take any distributions, just contributed to it and my employer contributed as well. Will I get a tax form from my retirement firm?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I have an IRA, I did not take any distributions, just contributed to it and my employer contributed as well. Will I get a tax form from my retirement firm?

You do not have to do anything.  If you didn't withdraw money, you will not get any forms. 

However, your W-2 will reflect the contributions in BOX 12 coded as a (D).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And actually if your employer took it out of you paychecks and they also contributed to it then it was NOT a IRA but a 401K plan.  

Your contributions will be on your W2 box 12 Code D.  They are pretax and have already been deducted from the wages in box 1 so you can't deduct them again.

dmertz
Level 15

As JohnB5677's answer implies, it is unlikely that this retirement account is an IRA but is instead an employer-provided qualified retirement plan like a 401(k) plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies