turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am doing my return using TT Deluxe and am not being given the option to enter my wife's 8606 IRA info

I have been using TT Deluxe for years but this year have run into a problem as I am not being given the option to enter the numbers regarding my wife's IRA RMD

The software is only producing an 8606T for me.

Anyone else having this problem?  How can I overide this glitch to reflect my wifes IRA RMD and value of her IRA acct at the end of 2019??   Thanks for your help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I am doing my return using TT Deluxe and am not being given the option to enter my wife's 8606 IRA info

Form 8606 is not used to report the RMD for an IRA.  Form 8606 is used to report the following:

• Nondeductible contributions you made to traditional IRAs.
  • Distributions from traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRAs, if you have ever made nondeductible contributions to traditional IRAs.
  • Conversions from traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRAs to Roth IRAs.
  • Distributions from Roth IRAs.

So, if your wife's IRA didn't have any of these, your tax return won't have a 8606 for her.

You generally get the IRA RMD questions as a part of the 1099-R distribution interview.  But, you only need to answer the questions if your wife did not take an RMD.  TurboTax asks those questions to "know" if you need to pay the penalty for not taking an RMD.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Make sure that you indicated that the Form 1099-R reporting your wife's RMD distribution is your wife's Form 1009-R, not yours.   Assuming that her distribution was truly from a traditional IRA and not from a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k), make sure that you have correctly marked the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's 1099-R form to match the marking on the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

Click the Continue button on  the Your 1099-R Entries page to reach the questions that ask about your wife's basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.

Isnt an 8606 filed if she made nondeductible contributions she made to traditional IRAs in the past???

The TT 1099 distribution interview is asking me to submit the info about my 1099R for my 2019 RMD

It has auto populated the amount of non deductible totals from my previous 2018 filing

BUT the  1099-R distribution interview  is not prompting me about the same info about my wife's 2019 RMD and past nondeductible contributions she  made to her traditional IRA in past years

Thanks for your help

dmertz
Level 15

As I described above, this suggests that you have not indicated that the Form 1099-R received by your wife is actually your wife's Form 1099-R.  Edit your wife's 1099-R form in TurboTax and make sure on the next page that you correctly verify the owner of the 1099-R.  Also make sure that the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on the Form 1099-R is marked to agree with the marking on the Form 1099-R.  Only an RMD reported with code 7 and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked gets reported on this Form 8606.

hunterabq
Returning Member

My RMD were entered, but Turbo Tax Deluxe give me her 1099-R data. at best you forms and 1099R forms are disconnected. Can only use SSA or Canadian (I am not). How to I enter my wife's IRA distributions?

hunterabq
Returning Member

I did mine, filinig joint return, but noting comes up to enter. Doesnt' ask if I want another form, or anything ab out my wife. So can I keep the $1M as no taxable?????????????

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

We'll automatically generate and fill out Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRAs) if you reported any of these on your tax return:

• Nondeductible contributions made to a traditional IRA
  • Distributions from a traditional, SEP or SIMPLE IRA that had nondeductible contributions (excluding rollovers, conversions, re-characterizations, qualified charitable distributions, one-time distribution to fund an HSA, or return of certain contributions)
  • Conversions from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA to a Roth IRA
  • Distributions from a Roth IRA (other than rollovers, re-characterizations, or a return of certain contributions)

However, if any of these 3 situations apply to you:

1. You received a distribution from an inherited traditional IRA that had nondeductible contributions
  2. You transferred an inherited plan account to a Roth IRA
  3. You received a distribution from an inherited Roth IRA that was not a qualified distribution

then you'll have to download and print Form 8606, manually fill it out (instructions), and print and file your return, as you won't be able to e-file.

To trigger the 8606 in TurboTax

For the 4 situations listed at the top of this article, you can trigger Form 8606 with these instructions:

1. Open your return if it isn't already open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for this exact phrase, including the comma: 8606, nondeductible ira contributions
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. Proceed through the IRA section, answering questions as you go.
  5. When you reach the screen Any nondeductible contributions to your IRA? answer Yes, then continue. We'll generate and fill out the 8606 behind the scenes.

Tip: On joint returns, 8606-T stands for "taxpayer" (first person listed on the return) and 8606-S denotes "spouse."

@hunterabq

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies