turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JBBuck

What if I haven't received my social security 1099's yet?

can i file without forms  or do I need to wait on them

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

HOW TO GET SSA-1099

If you cannot find your SSA1099,you can get one from your nearest Social Security office, or there is a way to go on the Social Security website and request one.  Go to www.ssa.gov  You have to create an account with a user name and password.

https://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

HOW TO GET SSA-1099

If you cannot find your SSA1099,you can get one from your nearest Social Security office, or there is a way to go on the Social Security website and request one.  Go to www.ssa.gov  You have to create an account with a user name and password.

https://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You must wait for the SSA-1099 to arrive. They are usually mailed on the same Wednesday you get your January monthly benefits.

twoharts

I havent received it yet !!  This is Feb 10th.......a month late.....so now what do I do ?
195larch
Returning Member

I did not receive an SSA-1099 for myself or my wife because our benefits are less than our Medicare premiums. However, the money they kept to pay those premiums is still taxable income, isn't it?  Doesn't that need to be reported when I file my taxes?  Should I file for an extension and wait for the forms to come, or should I fill in the amounts that they kept?  I know the benefit amounts because they billed me for the difference between what my  monthly benefits are and what my monthly Medicare premium is, on an annual basis. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should be able to get one right away online and use it to file you tax returns.

From the Social Security Administration's website:

"Need a replacement copy of your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, also known as a Benefit Statement? You can instantly download a printable copy of the tax form by logging in to or creating a free my Social Security account."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
195larch
Returning Member

I've tried that it; does not work.  I called Social Security several times, and once when I actually got through and spoke to someone, they couldn't find the 1099 either and said they would send an internal email to their processing center and try to get them to generate the forms. That was over a month ago.  Since I'm filing electronically, do I actually need the forms if I know the amounts? Or better yet, do you know a way to actually get through to Social Security?  After being on hold for extended periods of time when I do call, the computer usually says "call back some other time" and disconnects my call.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you are sure of the amounts @195larch go ahead and file.  Fill it out just as though you had a 1099-SA in your hand with those amounts on it.  If there is a vast discrepancy between the amount you enter and the amount reported to the IRS they will notify you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@RobertB4444 The question is about an SSA-1099, not a 1099-SA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies