turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

its0060
Returning Member

How To enter Pension and SS after I retired and living in New Jersey

How To enter my Pension and SS after I retired and living in New Jersey(with my wife) and my wife income is from New Your. I want to file jointly.

The option ask if your income was from a state other than the resident state. As of 2019, we both worked in NY and this was an easy response; but now she still works in NY but I am retired and receiving my pension and SS in NJ.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Retirement income is considered as coming from the state where you live, not from the state where you earned the retirement or from the state where the check is coming from.

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

For example, if you receive a pension from your former California employer and you now reside in New Mexico, California may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a New Mexico resident, your retirement income is taxable in New Mexico.  

its0060
Returning Member

Thank you very much ToddL99. It means I cannot file married jointly because our income if from both NY and NJ.  I may have to file Married filing Separately.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies