Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

canozkan86
Returning Member

How to claim credit for excess social security withholding (2 employers) when app is directing to a page that is asking you to request refund from employer?

IRS is saying that I should add this as a credit in line 72 of schedule 5 (form 1040). A post on Turbotax is saying that it will be added automatically but I do not see this happening in the app and I see a note saying that I should ask my employer for refund.

I got this from two different entities with same EIN (company I work for has multiple legal entities) for myself and company is saying that I should claim a tax credit for the excess amount and they won't do a refund.

My main question is more about how I can add this tax credit in app? I cannot see where I should be adding this under credit. App still telling me to ask employer for refund but legal entity name is different.

IRS: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p505.pdf

Page 45: "Where to claim credit for excess social security withholding. Enter the excess on Schedule 5 (Form 1040), line 72. Write “Excess SST” and show the amount of the credit in the space to the left of the line."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How to claim credit for excess social security withholding (2 employers) when app is directing to a page that is asking you to request refund from employer?

Ok ... look at the W-2 forms ... are they both for you ?   Or is one for your spouse?

If they are both for you do they both have the same payer EIN ? 

Did you get any sort of answer to this @canozkan86 ?

Same situation here. Too much social security withheld from multiple employers. Turbo tax claims that it will do the adjustment for you but did not. And to make matters worse, it appears to have then included the excess I paid to what I owe instead of deducting it. It did give me a Schedule 3 with the credit showing, but the amount I owe appears to be the amount I did actually owe, plus what should have been a credit.

Has made everything a huge mess.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Take a look at your Form 1040.  You said you show a credit on Schedule 3 (line 11) - that credit is transferred to your Form 1040, line 18d.  

Your total tax liability is found on line 16.   The amount of the credit for excess social security is subtracted from that amount and is reflected in the Refund section (line 20-21) of your Form 1040.      @kgrace

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC Thanks! I see what's going on now.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You are welcome...;)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
canozkan86
Returning Member

@kgrace I purchased the Turbotax download/cd (desktop version) where you can also enter values directly to the forms and added the value to Schedule 3 line 11 as IRS directed me. It is not possible to do that at the online  (browser based) version of Turbotax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies