Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mechita24

How much % tax will I have to pay if I withdraw money from an IRA account using the Care Act.

I was laid off due to Covid-19
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How much % tax will I have to pay if I withdraw money from an IRA account using the Care Act.

Taxable  Traditional IRA distributionx are taxed as ordinary income so the tax rate depends on the total amount of taxable income that you have so the tax rate can be between 0-37%.     CARES act distributions are not subject to the additional 10% penalty if under age 59 1/2.

Roth IRA distributions may or may not be taxable at all depending if you only remove your own contributions or remove any earnings.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Because you can elect to include the taxable amount a Cornonavirus-Related Distribution entirely on the tax return for year in with the distribution occurs or in equal parts over 3 years, this election can also affect the total amount of income tax that will be attributable to this distribution.

Are the States going to go along as well and allow taxation in three parts ?

dmertz
Level 15

Most states begin with federal AGI, so unless such a state mandates an adjustment to income to bring the year 2 and year 3 income back into year 1, which is extremely doubtful, particularly since I'm not aware of this being done with any qualified disaster distributions, the income will be spread over three years on state tax returns as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies