Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sven63

How do I resolve this error? Form 1099-R Box 12a New York State tax withheld ($3000) can not be greater than or equal to gross dist ($59100) or state distribution ($0)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do I resolve this error? Form 1099-R Box 12a New York State tax withheld ($3000) can not be greater than or equal to gross dist ($59100) or state distribution ($0)

Ok ... if you had $3000 of state withholding you must have had more than $3000 of state distribution ... the program is telling you to fix box 14  ... 

1....jpg

Box 14 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 12 & 13 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 14 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states (one being NY) that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 14 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 14 to satisfy the states requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

So why would the withholding be equal to the gross distribution? 

gross distribution is box 1, box 14 is state tax withheld, box 16 is state distribution- 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

In the original question, the poster entered zero (or left the box blank) as the state distribution.  The state taxes ($3,000) were greater than the state distribution (0).  That's why the error appeared.

The solution is to enter the gross distribution in box 1 also in the box for state distribution.

This is exactly what I did and my New York State tax return was rejected anyway. :(

Yes I put box 1 number in box 16 (state distribution) here in NY and my return was rejected- any other suggestions

What exactally is the reject message and reject code?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies