Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

flyby1331

How do I get credit for public safety officer insurance premiums. The program does not seem to be calculating it, and won't save my "yes" answers to the questions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do I get credit for public safety officer insurance premiums. The program does not seem to be calculating it, and won't save my "yes" answers to the questions.

Enter Form 1099-R exactly how it appears.  Answer Yes to the question, if you were Employed as a Public Safety Officer (law enforcement officer, firefighter, chaplain, or member of a rescue squad or ambulance crew). 

Answer Yes, if the Pension Administrator Paid for Health Insurance.

Enter the total amount paid for the Health Insurance Payment Amount.  If needed, TurboTax will reduce the deduction to the $3,000 allowed. 

"To qualify for this deduction, the distribution must be made directly from the plan to the insurance provider.  You can only make this election for amounts that would otherwise be included in your income.  The amount excluded from your income can't be used to claim a medical expense deduction."

Click IRS Publication 575 for additional PSO deduction information.

valley155

There is no box to check in the 2020 program.  Please advise.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

If you are using Desktop version, you will need to go to Forms mode by clicking "Forms" in the upper right hand corner.  Then open the 1099R form by clicking on it and scrolling down till you find Insurance.

Public Service Officers can reduce taxable distributions by up to $3,000 for qualified health insurance premiums.

hk17
Returning Member

hi, my form says 6000 in line 26d, and I never put 6K anywhere- i can't change it either

hk17
Returning Member

desktop version forms mode will not allow me to change my number to 3000 (it is stuck at 6000 for some reason, although I did not input that figure anywhere)

hk17
Returning Member

my husband and I are both public safety officer retirees- is turbo tax trying to give us the 3K each? I'm the one who has the family plan however.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you get a deduction 3K each if you are both retired Public Safety Officers.

When entering the second 1099-R, say 'No' to the question 'Did the Pension Administrator Pay for Health Insurance? so that you will only get a $3,000 deduction for one 1099-R.

Click this link for more info on Retired Public Safety Officer Exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies