Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

campy0619

Hi , I need to report the foreign income from social security and retirement fond from another country. How can I do that? I did not find any way to do that Thank you

Thanks for your follow up

Hg2164
Returning Member

Hi , I need to report the foreign income from social security and retirement fond from another country. How can I do that? I did not find any way to do that Thank you

I followed the 6 steps and reported the foreign soc sec amounts (for two countries) and gave explanations of currency exchange rates used, i.e. IRS yearly average exchange rates. This year my taxes increased about $600. The amounts from this year and last year are basically the same. I does not seem that the soc sec is taxed differently than regular income when filing them in this spot. Last year I filled out the 1099R forms as well, but had to print them and then fill out addresses and organization numbers by hand afterwards, as they did not fit. Not an option this year and the Turbo Tax page refuses to "Continue" if the numbers and addresses does not fit into the spaces allowed. Still hoping to find another way.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Instead of reporting these as 1099R's, I would suggest reporting this as other income so that the income is reported correctly on line 8Z of  Schedule 1 and the 1040. Here is how to report.

To report: 

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. Here you can list this as Foreign Social Security and  the amounts.

As far as the increase in your taxes, there may have been a change in the exchange rate between the previous year and this year. 

@Hg2164

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Best answer if it works. I will try it now

iJenn

Any links to the same subject matter for California? Specifically, I would like to know if or how foreign pension from Europe needs to be reported in California and also if there are any exceptions. Thank you in advance.

Capitolvet
Returning Member

My wife and I are both over 70 and live in Maryland full-time. She started receiving a disability pension from the Israeli police. They don't send us anything like a 1099-R. How do we report this? Is any part tax exempt, either federal or Maryland? Thanks.

ZhuoliA
Expert Alumni

Yes, your wife can exclude her disability pension income from Israeli police for any personal injury or sickness resulting from the foreign government services. Please see IRS Publication 525 - Section Military and Government Disability Pensions for more information. 

Because the disability pension income is not included in the federal AGI and is not treated as an addition to the income per Maryland Form 502 instructions, you don't need to report the income on the Maryland tax return. Please see Maryland Form 502 instructions - additions to income section for more information. 

@Capitolvet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies