Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[HELP] Wrong amount calculated for Covid-19 distribution from Roth IRA

In 2020, I took a lump sum distribution from my Roth IRA, which totaled $123k and splits into two parts

1. Covid distribution: $100k

2. Contributions withdrawal: $23k

However, when I enter this information into turbotax it says my Covid distribution was only ~$82k. As a result, I'm getting hit with a 10% early withdrawal penalty on $18k balance.

My Covid distribution is supposed to be $100k, so what am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are not eligible to take a Roth distribution, you can get hit with an Early Distribution Penalty on the balance that you indicated was not 'covid-related'.

Click this link for more detailed info on Early Withdrawal Penalty on Roth Distributions

Since you don't have to account for what you did with the distribution, you could indicate that the entire amount of the distribution was 'covid-related'.

You may want to delete/re-enter your 1099-R to do this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm under the impression that withdrawing Roth IRA contributions is subject to no penalty; you are only subject to penalties on earnings. 

If I can take 100k via Covid relief and the rest that I withdrew is purely contributions, then I would think that I would be subject to no penalties, right?

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax's calculation is correct.  When your Roth IRA distributions are divided between COVID-19-related and non-COVID-19-related amounts, you are not permitted to allocate all of your contribution basis to the non-COVID-19-related portion.  Your contribution basis is instead applied proportionately to these two portions.  With $23,000 of contribution basis, roughly 82% (roughly $18,860) of the $23,000 non-COVID-19-related portion is taxable and subject to early-distribution penalty.

Had you taken out only $100,000 and claimed it all as COVID-19-related, you would have no penalty.  Unfortunately, it's too late to roll over any of the non-COVID-19-related portion to bring the net distribution down to $100,000.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies