Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has anyone had problems with IRA rollovers showing as taxable on return even though program said " congratulations-these distributions are not taxable"'?

To me this seems like a Turbo Tax programming error.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Has anyone had problems with IRA rollovers showing as taxable on return even though program said " congratulations-these distributions are not taxable"'?

If you've already filed with your rolled over distribution shown on Form 1040 line 4b as taxable, yes, you'll need to amend.  Wait for your tax return to be processed, then amend using TurboTax by deleting the originally entered Form 1099-R, reentering it indicating that none of the distribution was RMD, indicating that you moved the money to another retirement account or back to the same account, then indicating the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will then prepare Form 1040-X showing the change to your AGI, taxable income and tax.  In the explanation you'll need to indicate that the change is because your originally filed tax return did not show the rollover.  TurboTax will also update Form 1040 to exclude the rolled-over amount from line 4b and to include the word ROLLOVER next to this line, but you won't file that since the Form 1040-X with explanation takes its place.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please be aware that the distribution amount will show on the summary page. To verify your rollover please look at Form 1040 line 4. If you rolled over the complete distribution then 4b (taxable amount) will be $0.

1. Click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary" in the Tool Center window
  4. Click on "Preview my 1040" on the left

If this is not the case then please go back to the 1099-R section and review your entries carefully.

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Read follow-up questions carefully.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the response.  I believe the problem I experienced could relate to my answer to the question about RMD amount.  I did the rollover after the CARES act allowed delayed rollovers of RMD disbursements that were taken prior to the passage of the CARES act.  I indicated on my return that all IRA funds disbursed were RMDs.  I think I need to file an amended return that shows none of the disbursements were RMDs since the CARES act waived the RMD requirements for the 2020 tax year.  Does this make sense?

dmertz
Level 15

If you've already filed with your rolled over distribution shown on Form 1040 line 4b as taxable, yes, you'll need to amend.  Wait for your tax return to be processed, then amend using TurboTax by deleting the originally entered Form 1099-R, reentering it indicating that none of the distribution was RMD, indicating that you moved the money to another retirement account or back to the same account, then indicating the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will then prepare Form 1040-X showing the change to your AGI, taxable income and tax.  In the explanation you'll need to indicate that the change is because your originally filed tax return did not show the rollover.  TurboTax will also update Form 1040 to exclude the rolled-over amount from line 4b and to include the word ROLLOVER next to this line, but you won't file that since the Form 1040-X with explanation takes its place.

Great!  Thanks much for the assistance.

Hi, I have a similar issue sort of the other way.  I need to make the 'ROLLOVER" entry go away and to be able to enter the taxable portion of the rollover to reflect my oopsy (partial conversion of traditional IRA funds to Roth) in 4b.  Is the solution to also edit the 1099-R, and if so, how (like what do I have to pick to make it show up in the 4b field)?  Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

Yes, you need to modify your answers to the questions that follow after you enter the details of the Form 1099-R.  I suggest deleting the 1099-R form, reentering it.  In the follow-up indicate that you moved the money to another retirement account, that you did a combination of rolling over, converting and cashing out, then indicate the amount converted.  If at any point you are asked if any part of your 2020 distribution was an RMD, answer that none of the distribution was RMD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies