turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Doritos

Form 8606 not filled correctly Did a back door roth conversion. Lines 1-5 and 13-15 are correct. Lines 6 -12 and 16 -18 are blank. Want to know how to fix this.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Form 8606 not filled correctly Did a back door roth conversion. Lines 1-5 and 13-15 are correct. Lines 6 -12 and 16 -18 are blank. Want to know how to fix this.?

Based on your question and the lines that you say are blank on Form 8606, it appears that the Form 1099-R that reported the distribution from the Traditional IRA (which was converted to the Roth IRA) has not been entered or was not entered correctly.

Go back through the 1099-R entries for your return to be sure that the correct ‘owner’ of each form has been reported.  Also, be sure to complete all the follow-up questions in the Form 1099-R section until the program returns you back to the main income screen. 

For your reference, see the information below for step-by-step instructions to enter a Back Door Roth contribution using TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6590395

View solution in original post

19 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Based on your question and the lines that you say are blank on Form 8606, it appears that the Form 1099-R that reported the distribution from the Traditional IRA (which was converted to the Roth IRA) has not been entered or was not entered correctly.

Go back through the 1099-R entries for your return to be sure that the correct ‘owner’ of each form has been reported.  Also, be sure to complete all the follow-up questions in the Form 1099-R section until the program returns you back to the main income screen. 

For your reference, see the information below for step-by-step instructions to enter a Back Door Roth contribution using TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6590395

I totally did all those steps (twice) and still lines 6-12 are blank.  Similar thing happened last year when TT did not completely fill out form 8606 and the IRS sent me a letter saying I had to send a new 8606.  No change in outcome, just a pain to have to deal with...

I agree there is an error in 8606, working on TurboTax 2019, line 6-12 do not fill out in form 8606. I’ve checked multiple times, as suggested by Intuit. No luck. This is frustrating.

dmertz
Level 15

There is likely nothing wrong with your entries.

Lines 6 through 12 are blank, indicated by asterisks next to lines 13 and 15 and a note at the bottom of Part I, because TurboTax is using Worksheet 1-1 of IRS Pub 590-B to calculate the taxable part of your IRA distribution:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

If the IRS questions your Form 8606 you'll need to provide them with a copy of this worksheet by printing it separately from TurboTax.  (Apparently some professional tax software automatically includes this worksheet with the filing when used, but as far as I know TurboTax does not.)

Tax321

TurboTax, please assist.  Form 8606 is not filled out correctly for Backdoor Roths.  Also, if an individual is converting additional Traditional IRA funds to a Roth, this is populated correctly either.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you could provide a diagnostic copy of your return then we can examine the situation in more detail.  

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and select Take me to my return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@Tax321

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chimera1
Returning Member

I also have this problem. Can we just edit the 8606 manually to fill in lines 6-12 with the information from the worksheet? Will that information be submitted to the IRS?

It is definitely annoying when you print out your 8606 from various years to have blank spots on the form because it is in some worksheet when really that data should be included on the form.

@chimera1 wrote:

I also have this problem. Can we just edit the 8606 manually to fill in lines 6-12 with the information from the worksheet? Will that information be submitted to the IRS?

It is definitely annoying when you print out your 8606 from various years to have blank spots on the form because it is in some worksheet when really that data should be included on the form.

If lines 6-12 are blank then here should be a * next to line 15 which means that the calculations are done on the "Taxable IRA Distribution smart Worksheet" instead of the 8606 as shown in IRS Pub 590B Worksheet 1-1.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b#en_US_2019_publink1000270091

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
chimera1
Returning Member

Yes, my 8606 has the * next to line 15. I also found the worksheet where all of the calculations are done.

One of the previous posts said that the worksheet is not transmitted to the IRS so I'm wondering if there is any benefit of manually filling out lines 6-12 on the 8606 so that information is transmitted to the IRS?

The other benefit I can see is that when you go back and look/print out your 8606, the information is right there instead of having to look up a separate worksheet.

I do think TurboTax should fill out these lines even if they are using the worksheet so there wasn't so much confusion.

In some circumstances the worksheet calculations can be different than the 8606 which is the reason for having the worksheet.  Particularly if there is a non-deductible contribution and distribution in the same year that can lead to a tax savings.    Some professional software does send the worksheet to the IRS and yes, there is a chance that the IRS will question the missing calculations unless you mail the return with a copy of the worksheet attached or save the worksheet to send to the IRS should they send a letter in the future.

The IRS does NOT require that the worksheet be included and the IRS e-file system for do-it-yourself software is not currently programed to accept the worksheet.

And there is no way to manually fill out the missing lines unless you print and mail and fill it out on paper, but it might not be directly transferable from the worksheet to the 8606.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
chimera1
Returning Member

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll just keep the worksheet on file in case the IRS ever requests it.

taxact does the same thing, except they do not insert an asterisk/note like turbotax does, so i guess that's nice. 

i switched from taxact for this very reason. however, i cannot access that worksheet. i already e-filed for 2020 and can only access the copy of the return i already downloaded. i see no way to access any kind of worksheet. (i got a CP2000 notice for 2016. i want to have the 2020 worksheet ready in case i get another notice.)

can someone from turbotax help me find that worksheet?

@myfriend09 wrote:

taxact does the same thing, except they do not insert an asterisk/note like turbotax does, so i guess that's nice. 

i switched from taxact for this very reason. however, i cannot access that worksheet. i already e-filed for 2020 and can only access the copy of the return i already downloaded. i see no way to access any kind of worksheet. (i got a CP2000 notice for 2016. i want to have the 2020 worksheet ready in case i get another notice.)

can someone from turbotax help me find that worksheet?

If you are using the desktop version switch to the forms mode and open the 8606 form and click on the worksheet.

If using online version, then use "tools" and print all forms and worksheets.

That is Worksheet 1-1 in IRS Pub 590-B

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b#en_US_2019_publink1000270091

thanks.  i eventually found it. the "tools" option is not available unless you 'trick' the system by saying you want to add a state return. before doing that, all that was available was "tax home" and "documents."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies