turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the past few years until recently, I've been confusing my Roth 401k through my employer with a Roth IRA and reporting an IRA on my taxes. How can I fix this?

For 2019, I only had $12 over the max contributions for an IRA which resulted in a penalty. This year is much higher. Is it fine to simply just not report Roth IRA on my 2020 tax filing? Or do I need to retroactively adjust my previous year filings?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

For the past few years until recently, I've been confusing my Roth 401k through my employer with a Roth IRA and reporting an IRA on my taxes. How can I fix this?

You should file a corrected 2019 Form 5329 along with Form 1040-X primarily to correct the $12 of excess that otherwise carries forward to line 18 your 2020 Form 5329.  With this amendment you can also claim a refund of the $1 penalty paid unnecessarily.  (On the Form 1040-X you can choose to credit the $1 refund toward your 2020 tax liability).

Thank you! And also, for filing form 1040-X, what box should I fill out to correct the invalid $12 of excess contributions?

dmertz
Level 15

Line 10 of Form 1040-X, Other taxes, will show a change of negative $1 due to eliminating the $1 penalty on Part IV of the amended 2019 Form 5329.  In the explanation that you provide with the Form 1040-X you will indicate that the correction is due to having previously reported on Part IV of Form 5329 a $12 excess Roth IRA contribution that was not actually made.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies