Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Expatriate working overseas, with mailing address in CA, but not Resident of CA. Do I have to file CA State taxes?

I'm a US expatriate working overseas (for almost 10 years).  In my Federal taxes, I put my mailing address in California (since I use my bother's address in CA), however I'm NOT a CA Resident.  This year, since the interest rate was good, I made money from buying bank CDs and US treasuries, where the total interest made was more that CA Standard Deduction.  I received form 1099 with the interest made, and form 1099 has my mailing address in CA.

Do I have to file for CA State taxes?  I googled this, and found info that says: "Interest and Dividend" are NOT taxable in CA if you are not a resident of CA.   If this is true, then I don't need to file for CA taxes.  Can someone please help to confirm this and if there is a need to file for CA state tax?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Expatriate working overseas, with mailing address in CA, but not Resident of CA. Do I have to file CA State taxes?

You are not a CA resident so you don't need to file a return. You don't have CA source income. You don't have a home, license, vote, act like a resident then CA is not a place of residence, just where you get mail.

Reference: CA Do You Need to File?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You are not a CA resident so you don't need to file a return. You don't have CA source income. You don't have a home, license, vote, act like a resident then CA is not a place of residence, just where you get mail.

Reference: CA Do You Need to File?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes, I don't have any CA source income, neither a home nor a vote.  However, 3 years ago (summer 2021), I visited my brother in CA for 3 weeks vacation, and since I wanted to rent a car, I applied for CA driver license and got it.  Is this an issue?  My vacation in CA was for only 3 weeks during the last 20 years.

Thanks and appreciate your help again

TomD8
Level 15

Your mailing address should be the address you want the IRS to use if they have to send you a letter or check.  But in the Personal Info section of TurboTax, be sure to enter "Foreign or U.S. Possession" as your State of Residence.  (It's the last choice in the State of Residence drop-down window.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies