turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess 401k contribution - past deadline - how to correct?

I changed jobs in 2020 and ended up over contributing to 401k (total from the 2 employers). I contacted my current employer and the plan administrator (Wells Fargo) and both stated that it is past the deadline of April 15th to get an "excess deferrals" from my plan. I live in Texas and with combination of Covid and winter storm, actual deadline to file is June 17th.

Filing now and finding out about this excess but how do I correct for this excess contribution? Most sites and forms talk about correcting prior to April 15th...not after.

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Correct, if an individual defers more than this limit for 2020, the excess deferral amount plus earnings must be distributed by April 15, 2021. The date to remove excess salary deferrals has not been extended (IRS). Excess salary deferrals not withdrawn by April 15 are taxable in 2020 and again when withdrawn. Please see 2020 Publication 525 Page 11 for additional information.

You will have to include the excess deferral on your 2020 tax return by following the steps below. Then when you withdraw the amount at a later time it will be taxable again.

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  3. Scroll  down to "Less Common Income" and click "Show More"
  4. Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C" and click "Start"
  5. Select "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" and click "Start"
  6. On the "Did you receive any other wages?" screen answer "Yes" and click "Continue"
  7. Continue until you get to the "Any other earned income" screen, answer "Yes" and click "Continue"
  8. On the "Enter Source of Other Earned income" screen select "Other" and click "Continue"
  9. On the "Any Other Earned Income" screen enter "2020 Excess 401(k) Deferrals" for the description, enter the amount and click "Done".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply and I understand about having to remove the excess amount prior to April 15th but it's May 14th, discovered on May 13th. I can't withdraw the money , both my company and the 401k provider stated that I can't remove the excess amount. 

For your instructions, are you saying I still have to do this even though I was not able to remove the funds? 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, excess salary deferrals not withdrawn by April 15 are taxable in 2020 and again when withdrawn. Therefore, you will have to include them on your 2020 tax return as mentioned above and when you take the distribution this amount will still be taxable income. Therefore, you will be taxed twice on the amount since you unfortunately missed the deadline. 

So can I leave it in my retirement plan and then just pay the tax at the lower rate when I'm retired vs now when I am fully employed?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can leave it in your retirement account until your tax rate is lower. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies