Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sadieflea

Does a PERS retirement plan have an RMD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChelsiE2

Yes.  Your Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) retirement account is subject to the Required Minimum Distributions rules set forth by the IRS.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ChelsiE2

Yes.  Your Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) retirement account is subject to the Required Minimum Distributions rules set forth by the IRS.

How do I know this has been calculated and show this on my return?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

As long as you are getting regular payments from your PERS, as a Qualified Plan you will meet your RMD.  @nubian1948

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chuck991

But in the turbotax web page , after you indicate the amount of your distribution for your 1099-R for OPERS, it asks you how your distribution relates to the RMD. it gives you three choices, all of my distribution was RMD, part of it was RMD (and if you choose this one it want to know what part of the distribution was RMD), none of it was RMD. Since this thread indicates opers pension is subject to RMD I have to give one of these answers. But, I don't have the foggiest idea what my RMD is for my pers pension. what answer should I give?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

All pensions are, by definition, Required Minimum Distributions so the correct answer is "All of my distribution was RMD". 

All retirement accounts, even pensions, must meet the RMD requirements.  However, the way pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically (usually monthly).   

Technically, any monthly pension payment is considered a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) and the entire amount is an RMD. That is how you need to answer the questions. Therefore, you may simply select "yes" to the RMD 1st question ("Was this an RMD?").  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting "yes", the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation. 

psemien

I get a CALPERS Retirement check monthly.   I don't understand what they RMD section is all about.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies