turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dearme

Contributions 1099-R to HSA is shown in 1099-R with distribution code 7. IRA doesn't have the code for this type of transfer-in Turbotax contributions from 1099-R -"0"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Contributions 1099-R to HSA is shown in 1099-R with distribution code 7. IRA doesn't have the code for this type of transfer-in Turbotax contributions from 1099-R -"0"?

Do you mean that this distribution is actually a rollover to an HSA from a traditional IRA?

After you enter the 1099-R into TurboTax (and, yes, distribution code of '7' is OK), then TurboTax will ask "What did you do with the money from (this 1099-R)?"

Answer "I did something else with it".

The next screen will ask if you put this money into an HSA. It's likely that the screen appears only after you've indicated that you have an HSA (either code W in box 12 of your W-2 or by going to the HSA interview (Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA MSA Contributions) and checking the box).

Note that is valid if you received the money then redeposited it within 60 days into your HSA. If this had been a trustee to trustee transfer, I don't think you would have gotten a 1099-R.

dearme

As you recommened (Thanks a lot!) I answered In 1099-R section "I did something else with it" and then answered that the money were deposited to HSA as once per lifetime exception.                                                            But  on the screen "Let's enter ... HSA contributions" of "Deductions and Credits" section - the row "Contributions from your 1099-R" is still showing nonchangeble $0
dearme

Can I show this deposit to HSA (it was redeposited from IRA within 60 days) in the next row "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)"?

No to the "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)"? ".

OK, let's start over.
First, delete all HSA information:
1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)
2. make a copy of your 1099-R for the rollover
3. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen
4. delete your 1099-R (Federal->Wages & Income->Retirement Plans and Social Security->IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)) and delete the HSA rollover 1099-R from the list (use the Delete or garbage can icon)

*** Desktop***
5. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.
*** Online ***
6. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

7. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)
8. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

9. To re-add your 1099-R and your HSA do:

1. go to the 1099-R interview (above)
2. Enter the 1099-R data. be sure to mark this as an IRA
3. On the screen with "What Did You Do With The Money From [1099-R]?" answer "Brad did something else with it"
4. On the next screen (or so), you will see "Did [name] Put This Money from [1099-R] in a Health Savings Account (HSA)?". answer "yes".
5. This will expose some more lines. Enter the amount of the 1099-R distribution that went into the HSA (presumably the entire amount).
6. Finish the 1099-R interview and then proceed to the HSA interview (Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA, MSA Contributions).
7. Indicate that you have an HSA.
8. Enter your 1099-SA (if you have one).
9. On the screen "Let's enter your HSA contributions", note that your contributions from 1099-R is the second of three entries.
10. Note that on the HSA Summary that the 1099-R rollover does not appear (this is OK)
11. The screen after the Summary is "Qualified HSA Funding Distribution". This is a screen describing your requirements to ensure that the rollover is valid for the next year.
12. Note that the rollover counts as a contribution to your HSA, even though it does not appear on the Summary
13. The 1099-R will appear on line 15a of the 1040, as a non-taxable IRS distribution (as a rollover should)

After entering in the data for my 1099-R and answered "I did something else with it", I do not see a prompt asking if I put this money into an HSA.  I am using TTAX Deluxe 2019.  Is the one-time rollover from IRA to HSA supported by Deluxe?

@Imv2oD0xBiI9 wrote:

After entering in the data for my 1099-R and answered "I did something else with it", I do not see a prompt asking if I put this money into an HSA.  I am using TTAX Deluxe 2019.  Is the one-time rollover from IRA to HSA supported by Deluxe?

The question is asked for an HSA if the withdrawal was from an IRA.  Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked on the Form 1099-R?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies