Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do withdrawals taken from a roth ira under the cares act count against future withdrawals of contributions? (11000 in contributions, withdrew 6000 in 2020)

My roth ira has contributions of 11,000. I know that I can withdrawal those both tax and penalty free. Under the cares act I was allowed to take out up to 100,000 without penalty. I withdrew 6,000 in 2020. Because I took the money out under the cares act, am I able to still withdrawal 11,000 this year? Or does the 6,000 count against my contributions I'm allowed to withdrawal?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do withdrawals taken from a roth ira under the cares act count against future withdrawals of contributions? (11000 in contributions, withdrew 6000 in 2020)

@tgeorgeblackwell wrote:
My roth ira has contributions of 11,000. I know that I can withdrawal those both tax and penalty free. Under the cares act I was allowed to take out up to 100,000 without penalty. I withdrew 6,000 in 2020. Because I took the money out under the cares act, am I able to still withdrawal 11,000 this year? Or does the 6,000 count against my contributions I'm allowed to withdrawal?

No.   The CARES act only eliminated penalties.   In your case there were no penalties to eliminate because you can always withdraw your own prior contributions tax and penalty free and you did not withdraw any earnings that would have a penalty.    The $6,000 that you took out reduced your prior contributions for future distributions by that amount.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you @macuser_22

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies