turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Collecting Social Security against my ex-spouse

I began drawing SS against my  ex-spouse's Social Security when I turned 66 (I was born in 1952). I was told by the SS office that this would not impact the amount that he would collect, nor would it impact the amount I'm entitled to collect when I begin collecting at age 70. Is that correct?

After I begin drawing against my own SS account, can I continue to draw a percentage against his or does that cease? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Destiny_Y_JD
Employee Tax Expert

What you were told is correct in that neither benefit will be impacted by you taking these benefits. First of all, since you were born before 1954 it is smart of you to wait to delay your benefit until the age of 70. 
Once you are eligible for retirement benefits (or decide to take them) on your own record, SSA will pay that amount first. If your ex-spouse's benefit is higher then you will receive an additional amount so that the combination of the benefits equals the higher amount. If your amount is higher, then you will not receive an additional amount. 
(source: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/applying7.html#h4)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Destiny_Y_JD
Employee Tax Expert

What you were told is correct in that neither benefit will be impacted by you taking these benefits. First of all, since you were born before 1954 it is smart of you to wait to delay your benefit until the age of 70. 
Once you are eligible for retirement benefits (or decide to take them) on your own record, SSA will pay that amount first. If your ex-spouse's benefit is higher then you will receive an additional amount so that the combination of the benefits equals the higher amount. If your amount is higher, then you will not receive an additional amount. 
(source: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/applying7.html#h4)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies