turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions Section -My income was less than $75,000 and I did the backdoor conversion. Do I want to make my IRA contributions nondeductible?

I'm confused on the section "Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions." My income was less than $75,000 and I did the backdoor conversion. I'm now getting a message that says I have a 2020 deductible traditional IRA contributions of $2,280. Is this correct? Do I want to make my IRA contributions nondeductible? The $6000 is my after tax money and I want to make all of the $6000 nondeductible, but it says that my max I could make nondeductible is $2,280. I already converted the $6000 from traditional IRA to roth IRA in the same year and almost immediately.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions Section -My income was less than $75,000 and I did the backdoor conversion. Do I want to make my IRA contributions nondeductible?

If you have already converted the $6000 contribution to a Roth IRA, then you need to indicate that it was all a non-deductible contribution.  The only limit imposed on making a non-deductible contribution is the maximum IRA contribution for the year based on your age ($6000 or $7000 for 50 and older).  

Please take another look at the screen, it should say that your maximum deductible contribution is $2280.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you have already converted the $6000 contribution to a Roth IRA, then you need to indicate that it was all a non-deductible contribution.  The only limit imposed on making a non-deductible contribution is the maximum IRA contribution for the year based on your age ($6000 or $7000 for 50 and older).  

Please take another look at the screen, it should say that your maximum deductible contribution is $2280.  

Hi Annette,

Thanks for your response.  I see a section that says "You can deduct only $2,280 of the $6,000 contribution to a traditional IRA because you're covered by a retirement plan at work and your modified adjusted gross income is between $65,000 and $75,000. The difference of $3,720 is considered a nondeductible contribution. 

When I press continue, I see "Do you want to make your IRA contributions nondeductible?" Do I click Yes and then type $2,280 under amount of your contribution to make nondeductible?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You would click 'yes' and enter that you want to make $6000 non-deductible.  

@taxfiler_newbie

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies