Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you tell me my parent are on Social Security but sold there condo in 2023, do I need to report that if so what version of turbo tax I need to use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Can you tell me my parent are on Social Security but sold there condo in 2023, do I need to report that if so what version of turbo tax I need to use?

If you sold your primary personal residence and you lived in and owned the home for at least two years in the five year period on the date of sale, you do not have to report the sale if your gains are less then the exclusion amounts of $250,000 if filing Single or $500,000 if filing Married Filing Jointly (and both lived in the home for two years).

Gain or Loss = Sales Price minus Sales Expenses minus Adjusted Basis (Purchase Price plus the cost of improvements prior to the sale)

If you had a gain greater then the exclusion amounts then you would have to report the sale. Also, if you received a Form 1099-S for the sale either with a gain or a loss, the sale has to be reported.

They never received 1099-S for the sale?

Then if their gain on the sale was less than the exclusion amounts the sale does not have to be reported on a tax return.

You know what version of turbo tax I need to use in order to report or include this gain/loss??

If you are going to use the TurboTax online editions then you would need the Premium online edition to report the sale of the home.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/premium/

If you were going to use the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, then any of those editions can be used

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

If Im using turbo tax desktop than any of those edition will hae option to claim sell of condo will be there or any specific. I mean deluxe/premier/home-office which one will allow me?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, if your parents lived in their condo for 2 of the last 5 years, any gain on the sale up to 500K is excluded from taxes, for a married couple. 

You don't even need to report it on their tax return, in that case.

Here's more info about the Home Sale Exclusion for Sale of Primary Home. 

@bigblue_212

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies