Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I enter a negative amount for proceeds (Box 1d) on my 1099-B?

Just tried reimported with the latest update.

I am getting an error message of not being able to import because it says I have more than 3000 transactions which I know I don't have. I have less than 1500.

Anyone getting this error ?

Thanks.

probably have you delete the old data from previous import ?  

Delete the old imported document from fed income screen for the brokerage and then reimport.

Thanks - this is good news!

btw, how you know there was an update get released? Are you using PC version or online version?

Thank-you everyone !

That was it, forgot to delete the old import.  All the figures (Net Proceeds, Bases and Gains) now match and TT checked without error.

It took everyone's input on this forum to get TT to make this update.  Great work everyone !!!

Just can't believe so many people had to make our point on this forum before TT would fix this given this was the same problem last year.  Their phone support was not unable to help and just really trained to handle the obvious problems.   When I first called support about a month back, their support people didn't even have a way to even log a software bug on my behalf. I was basically told that's way it works and its the brokers' problem.  Sad. 

Hopefully, TT product team is monitoring this forum and make sure this problem doesn't happen again next year.

Thanks everyone.

good news! 

My numbers  still won't match 1099B exactly due to rounding issue (rounding at each transaction rather than total).  I assume the rounding difference is immaterial and will leave it for now. 

Same here. Mine are off by a few dollars due to rounding.

I also was successfully able to submit my form after the fix.  I did have to delete the original import from my brokerage and re-import.

Thanks to everyone who added their voice to get this problem the appropriate level of attention from TT.  And thank you TT for responding and resolving the issue.

My money is on that it happens again next year. At least we know now that we need to wait for TT to fix rather than making wild manual changes that could confuse the IRS.

cparmba521
Returning Member

So then 1099B numbers submitted to IRS won't match numbers entered on tax return. Red Flag.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax does not allow negative numbers in 1099-B box 1d, but there is a process to properly post the number and have it match the IRS.

Some brokers  now reports losses of short options on 1099B as a negative number for proceeds in box 1d and a zero value for cost basis, rather than separate values for cost basis and proceeds that show a loss. 

The broker explanation is: "We are now updating our reporting of short options on the 1099-B to reflect how the IRS is now requesting that these transactions be reported.  In this new format, the cost basis and proceeds for short options is consolidated into Box 1d in a net amount."

To be able to post a negative value to form 1099-B box 1d follow these steps.

1. Select the option for a 1099-B
  2. Select to type it yourself
  3. Enter Bank
  4. I'll enter one sale at a time
  5. Enter the stock data and leave 10d BLANK
  6. When you hit Continue you will get a RED error message
  7. At the bottom of the screen select Allow me to continue with incomplete information. [Continue]
  8. Any less common items will be blank.  Select Done
  9. No this is not employee stock
  10. Select the last item An adjustment is required for reasons not already covered.
  11. Enter the negative number that you had in Box 1d.
  12. This will complete the transaction.

@cparmba521

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is still not working for turbotax desktop as of the latest update.  I went to the website the software pops up when the error occurs and it says to wait until late March for turbotax to fix this.  This is clearly a turbotax issue, and my brokerages are reporting as they should.  I spent an hour on the phone with support, and they did not help either.  You shouldn't have to enter 100s of transactions by hand either as I have some complex options and other derivatives in my 1099-B.

sharkMeister
Returning Member

This is factually INCORRECT! Please go read the documentation from the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099b.pdf

• page 8
    • left hand side
      • QUOTE:
        • Box 1d. Proceeds
          Enter the gross cash proceeds from all dispositions
          (including short sales) of securities, commodities, options,
          securities futures contracts, or forward contracts. Show a
          loss, such as one from a closing transaction on a written
          option or forward contract, as a negative amount by
          enclosing it in parentheses.

I downloaded from Ameritrade and it doesn't work for 1099B box 1d. What can I do? Does Tax Act work for this?

This is wrong. The publication here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099b.pdf.

Enter the gross cash proceeds from all dispositions
(including short sales) of securities, commodities, options,
securities futures contracts, or forward contracts. Show a
loss, such as one from a closing transaction on a written
option or forward contract, as a negative amount by
enclosing it in parentheses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies