Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AnthonyD2004
Returning Member

Box 13 retirement

So my mom had forgot to check the box that showed “retirement plan” on “Box 13” on one of my W2’s from a lifeguarding job in 2021. the picture my mom sent me of my w2 is a little blurry but it looks like it says on box 13 in my W2 the middle one that says returement plan. i do know that the company i worked for has a retirement because i pulled my 2021 retirement funds out in 2022. and then i worked again there this summer and pulled it out again. I just want to see if i need to amend my taxes to check the “retirement plan” box on 13

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Box 13 retirement

Others may know better (like @dmertz  )

But I "think" it would only have some possible effect if you also made some separate contributions to a traditional IRA  for that same year (outside of your employment, and you did not simply roll over the $$ you removed from the company plan).   

AND...even then, for a traditional IRA contribution, you would have had to had income exceeding $66,000 (in 2021, for a single person,  or $106,000 for MFJ in 2021) before anything "might " change your 2021 tax return, as a result of not having checked that box.   

Without you having contributed to an actual IRA in 2021, I don't think there is anything for you to do.  IF you did contribute to an IRA...then it depends on your income level whether you might have to amend.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
AnthonyD2004
Returning Member

Box 13 retirement

so i just looked and so since me lifeguarding counted as working for the government. it was a “457 compensation plan” and that’s what i put when filing my taxes i think i just forgot to simply check the box. also i looked at my retirement account and it was a little over $300. that i got put into my account from 2021. on my W2 it says $285 not sure why but maybe i should just leave it. 

dmertz
Level 15

Box 13 retirement

SteamTrain is correct.  The only effect in TurboTax from omitting the marking of box 13 Retirement plan is that TurboTax will force some or all of a traditional IRA contribution to be nondeductible if your modified AGI exceeds a certain threshold based on your filing status.  You haven't mentioned making any traditional IRA contributions (a 457(b) is not an IRA), so if you made no traditional IRA contribution for 2021, there is no need to correct anything.

Box 13 retirement

If you have a retirement plan at work, your ability to make certain kinds of contributions to an IRA outside of work may be limited.  Remember that an IRA is a private plan you arrange with a bank or investment company.  Qualified workplace plans (no matter what the alphabet designation) are not IRAs even though they have the same basic purpose.  If you didn't make contributions to an IRA, you don't have to worry about missing that checkbox. 

AnthonyD2004
Returning Member

Box 13 retirement

okay awesome thank you so much, yeah i worked for this place called the Metroparks in michigan. It is a recreational park i am pretty sure, i was a lifeguard. they have this retirement account set up for their seasonal and i’m assuming full time employees through this company called “missionsquare retirement” i only made “roughly” 4k there throughout the summer so i feel like i should be fine was just stressed out because i missed that box and it ask about contribution or something. i just put what was on my W2 but i forgot to check the retirement box 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies