Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bill-s

For cash basis accounting can I account for the cost when I write a check, or does it need to be accounted for when the check clears the bank?

I have deductions I would like to take for 2013 but the check didn't clear until early 2014

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
RobertW

For cash basis accounting can I account for the cost when I write a check, or does it need to be accounted for when the check clears the bank?

bill.s

Hello - for a cash basis tax payer, you deduct the expense when you no longer have control of the check.   Mailing the check means it is out of your control.  You do not have to wait for the check to clear you bank account.

Hope this answers your question.  If you have any more questions please let us know.

We are here to help.

Thanks for using TurboTax

Hi 

cash basis company . Payroll check written to employee and mailed on 12/27/21. Check was not deposited until 1/6/22. What is the 2021 journal entry to record this expense? I thought no accounts payable allowed when cash basis 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Since you mailed the checks before the end of the year, you would debit the payroll expense and credit cash. The checks not cashed in 2021 will be listed as outstanding on your bank reconciliation, and the expense will be allowed in 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! 

For checks I received as business payments that didn’t clear yet, are those money in transit accounts with a reversal entry in January? Or do I just call it income and cash? I use waveapps for my bookkeeping and it wants me to do money in transit in order for the internal reconciliation from my imported bank statements to reconcile 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, for income tax purposes, these are consider income and cash. Were these checks paid in posted in December but didn't clear until January?

checks I received on 12/30 and deposited 1/3. I had constructive receipt of them hence why I feel comfortable including them in 21 income. I’m still unsure if I should delineate those separate  from cash in book keeping and the tax return or just call it all cash 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

In your bookkeeping, you should input the deposits as 12/30 and then hold the difference between book & bank as a reconciling item.

This still qualifies as cash-based accounting for tax purposes and you can then include the income on your 2021 taxes.  Just be sure you do not double count the income and use the deposited date in 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies