turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SC08
Level 1

401K Distribution in Sept 2019, Tax Withheld, Check Misplaced & Serious Illness - Missed 60day Rollover - Trying to do a late rollover

Hi Everyone, 

Need some help on this issue:

I had an old 401K plan and due to, unfortunate medical issues I took out money from a 401K plan in 2 different distributions, the second one being where I was going to do an indirect rollover into an IRA.   Misplaced the check and realized that my 1099R didn't seem correct while doing my taxes.   

I know that IRS allows for waivers on 60 day rollovers due to certain circumstances and I appear to meet the requirements - misplaced the check and serious medical illness (disabled).   

-20% tax was withheld

-I want to complete the rollover for the entire amount (amount of check + taxes withheld) to avoid 10% penalty and lower my tax bill by self certification

-Distribution late 2019

Fidelity Investments wont let me do this.  Thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks!

@r401k @IRA @Rollover

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

401K Distribution in Sept 2019, Tax Withheld, Check Misplaced & Serious Illness - Missed 60day Rollover - Trying to do a late rollover

IRA custodians may now rely on an individual’s self-certification to accept late rollover contributions, unless they have actual knowledge contrary to the certification.  You must present them with the Model Letter contained in Rev. Proc. 2016-47 (or a certification that is substantially similar in all material respects),  

Rev. Proc. 2016-47 - with Model Letter

FAQs: Waivers of the 60-Day Rollover Requirement)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

IRA custodians may now rely on an individual’s self-certification to accept late rollover contributions, unless they have actual knowledge contrary to the certification.  You must present them with the Model Letter contained in Rev. Proc. 2016-47 (or a certification that is substantially similar in all material respects),  

Rev. Proc. 2016-47 - with Model Letter

FAQs: Waivers of the 60-Day Rollover Requirement)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies