turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R lists monies as a distribution rather than a rollover which is what it was. How to upload explanatory documents to turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

1099-R lists monies as a distribution rather than a rollover which is what it was. How to upload explanatory documents to turbotax?

Enter your 1099-R and in the TurboTax interview, at the question What did you do with the money?, answer that you rolled over to another retirement account. (see screenshot)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Rollovers are a type of distribution.

No I did not. I followed these instructions, checked the rollover box and wrote an explanation. However when I go to the very end to e-file (had even paid for e-file with my credit card and it has been charged) the program would not allow me to file. It kept sending me back to the fact that I had entered zero as the tax due on this rollover amount. Have gone to chat room with this issue and got no response. I will be disputing the charge from Turbotax on my credit card for e-filing my returns since I have not been able to e-file.

dmertz
Level 15

What you describe is almost certainly a user entry error or, less likely, a Form 1099-R improperly prepared by the payer.

1. What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer?
  2. Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked?
  3. Does box 2a of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer show a nonzero amount?
  4. Is box 2b Taxable amount not determined marked?
  5. Is there any nonzero amount in box 5?

@garner-lois wrote:

...and wrote an explanation...

Please explain exactally what asked you for an explanation?    Only the substitute 1099-R interview will ask for an explanation or a Traditional IRA distribution when you manually change the carry-forward basis.  Neither of which would be used for a received 1099-R for a rollover.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax also asks for an explanation statement if one mistakenly enters a zero in box 2a of TurboTax's 1099-R form when the the code in box 7 is 1, 2 or 7 and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked.  For a rollover of a distribution from an IRA, the amount in box 2a of such a Form 1099-R must ALWAYS be the same as the amount in box 1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies